1. Charles Robert Darwin By: Tamara Samman Grade: 8
2. About Darwin <ul><li>Charles Robert Darwin (12 February 1809 – 19 April 1882) was an English naturalist. </li></ul><ul><li>Darwin was named after his uncle (Charles), and his father (Robert). </li></ul><ul><li>He was born in Shrewsbury, England. </li></ul><ul><li>He was the fifth child and second son of Robert Waring Darwin and Susannah Wedgwood. Darwin was the British naturalist who became famous for his theories of evolution and natural selection. </li></ul>
3. Darwin <ul><li>After graduating from the best school at Shrewsbury in 1825, Darwin went to the University of Edinburgh to study medicine. In 1827 he dropped out of medical school and entered the University of Cambridge . </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>Darwin went on a five year </li></ul><ul><li>journey around the world, from 1831- 1836. </li></ul><ul><li>He studied plants and animals. </li></ul><ul><li>On his return back home, he gathered his ideas and published a book about the theory of evolution. </li></ul><ul><li>It was published it on 1859. </li></ul><ul><li>It was called The Origin Of Species . </li></ul>
5. His Marriage <ul><li>On 29 January 1839, Darwin married his cousin Emma Wedgwood. </li></ul>
6. His children William Erasmus Darwin ( 27 December 1839 – 1914 ) Anne Elizabeth Darwin ( 2 March 1841 – 22 April 1851 ) Mary Eleanor Darwin ( 23 September 1842 – 16 October 1842 ) Henrietta Emma &quot;Etty&quot; Darwin ( 25 September 1843 – 1929 ) George Howard Darwin ( 9 July 1845 – 7 December 1912 ) Elizabeth &quot; Bessy &quot; Darwin ( 8 July 1847 – 1926 ) Francis Darwin ( 6 August 1848 – 19 September 1925 ) Leonard Darwin ( 15 January 1850 – 26 March 1943 ) Horace Darwin ( 13 May 1851 – 29 September 1928 ) Charles Waring Darwin ( 6 December 1856 – 28 June 1858 ) The Darwin’s had ten children, three of whom died early. Several of their children suffered illness or weaknesses.
7. Family Tree
8. Areas <ul><li>Places which are named after Charles Darwin: </li></ul><ul><li>Port Darwin- Australia </li></ul><ul><li>Charles Darwin National Park- Australia (north) </li></ul><ul><li>Charles Darwin University- Australia (north) </li></ul>
10. The Children <ul><li>William Erasmus Darwin Darwin's first child was born on December 27, 1839. He was a graduate of Christ’s College at Cambridge University, and was a banker in Southampton. He married Sara Ashburner from New York, but they had no children. William died in 1914. </li></ul><ul><li>Anne Elizabeth Darwin Born on March 2 1841, and died at ten of tuberculosis on April 22, 1851. </li></ul><ul><li>Mary Eleanor Darwin Born on September 23, 1842 but died a few weeks later on October 16th. </li></ul>
11. Cont. <ul><li>George Howard Darwin Born on July 9, 1845. He was an astronomer and mathematician. George married Martha (Maud) du Puy from Philadelphia. They had two sons, and two daughters. He died in 1912. </li></ul><ul><li>Elizabeth Darwin Born on July 8, 1847 and died in 1926. She never married and had no children. </li></ul><ul><li>Henrietta Emma Darwin (&quot;Etty&quot;) Born on September 25, 1843 and married Richard Buckley Litchfield in August of 1871. She lived 86 years and edited Emma's (her mother) personal letters and had them published in 1904. She had no children. </li></ul>
12. Cont. <ul><li>Francis Darwin Born on August 16, 1848. He married Amy Ruck but she died when their first child, Bernard, was born in September of 1876. Then he married Ellen Crofts in September 1883, and they had one daughter, Francis in 1886. Francis was knighted in 1913, and died in 1925. </li></ul><ul><li>Leonard Darwin Born on January 15, 1850. He became a soldier in the Royal Engineers in 1871, and was a Major from 1890. He taught at the School of Military Engineering at Chatham from 1877 to 1882. Leonard married Elizabeth Fraser in July of 1882. He got married a second time, but had no children and died in 1943. </li></ul>
13. Cont. <ul><li>Horace Darwin Born on May 13, 1851. He was a graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge, and became an engineer and a builder of scientific instruments. He was the Mayor of Cambridge from 1896-97. Horace married Emma Farrer in January 1880 and they had three children. He died in 1928. </li></ul><ul><li>Charles Waring Darwin Born on December 6, 1856 but died on June 28 1858. </li></ul>
14. His Death His work was complete; there was nothing left to challenge him. His wife, Emma, took him on holiday to the Lake District to cheer him up in 1881. But it didn’t help. On September 7, Darwin completed his will. While Darwin and Emma were in London for the holidays on December 15 1881, he felt strong pains in his chest. The doctor said that he was fine. On April 18 1882, Darwin had a really strong attack during the night. Emma was afraid that he was very near to death. April 19 1882, Charles Darwin died at around 4:00 PM at Down House.
15. Darwin’s Books <ul><li>The Voyage of the Beagle </li></ul><ul><li>The Origin of Species </li></ul><ul><li>The Origin of Species - 6th Edition </li></ul><ul><li>The Descent of Man </li></ul>