Organisation is any organized group of people with a particular
purpose, such as a business or government department.
It is the study and application of knowledge about how people,
individuals, and group act in an organisation.
• It is also the study of the way how people interact with groups.
According to Callahan “OB is a branch of management concerned with
understanding, predicting and influencing individual behaviour in
4. KEY ELEMENTS OF OB
There are basically 4 key elements that deals with the organization
• Integral part of the organization
• Individual, groups and large groups
• Dominant role in achieving the organizational objectives.
• Defines official relationship of people in an organization
• Managers, accountants, workers and labours of different
• Power and obligations.
• Technology for transforming inputs and outputs.
• Physical objects, software, automation and all other productive
• Organisation always works on an external environment.
• It influences the attitudes of people, working conditions etc
• Individual organization like school, factory cannot escape from this
• Different interaction allow the organisation to get raw materials, hire
employees, secure capital, obtain knowledge skills, lease of buy
7. Needs of Organisation Behaviour
1. Provides a sound working environment
2. Helps in creating effective leaders
3. Improves interpersonal relations
4. Maintains cordial industrial relation
5. Improves motivation and communication
6. Always helps in creating a better climate in an organisation.
7. Optimum and better utilisation of resources
8. Skill improvement.
9. Assist in controlling and directing behaviour
15. Features of Supportive Model
• Based on Leadership
• Leader support employees
• Increases participation
• Strongly motivated employees
16. Collegial Model
• Team Building
• Working with the management
• Equal participation in organization goal
• Degree of fulfilment
• Self discipline
17. Features of Collegial Model
• Based on employee cooperation
• Focuses teamwork
• Employees feel responsible
• Satisfaction of employees
18. Benefits of Studying OB
• Understand human behaviour
• Assist in controlling and directing behaviour
• Explain the use of power and obligation
• Understanding leadership
• Evaluates communication process
• Understanding organisational climate