1. UNIT 1- THE RELIEF OF SPAIN AND EUROPE Social Science 6th
THE RELIEF AND COASTLINES OF SPAIN
Spain is a country in the southwest of Europe:
• Spain's inland relief consists of the Meseta, which is a plateu in the
centre of Spain. The sistema Central divides the Meseta into two
parts: the Submeseta Norte and the Submeseta Sur.
• Spain's outer relief consists of mountain ranges: the Macizo Galaico,
the Montes Vascos, the Pyrenees, the Cordilleras Béticas and the
Cordilleras Costero-Catalanas. There are also two large basins formed
by the Ebro and Guadalquivir rivers.
• Spain's island relief includes the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean
Sea. Apart from Sierra de Tramuntana en Mallorca, this region is not
very mountainous. It also includes the Canary Islands in the Atlantic
Ocean. Teide, the Sapin's highest mountain is located there.
THE RELIEF OF EUROPE
Europe is like a large peninsula surrounded by sea and joined to Asia.
It is the second smallest continent after Oceania.
Its relief consists of three main type of landforms:
• The old massifs are low mountains located in central and northern
Europe.: Scandinavian Mountains and Ural Mountains.
• The young mountain ranges are higher and are situated in the south
of the continent. They included the Alps, Pyrenees, Apennines, etc.
• The wide plains extend throughout central and eastern Europe. The
largest is the Great European Plain.