The drug which are used to suppress cough or enhance removal
Synonyms:- Adhatada, adulsa
Biological source:- It consists of dried as well as fresh leaves of
the plant Adhatoda vasica
1. Vasaka leaves contain quinazoline alkaloids such as vasicine,
vasicinone and 6-hydroxy vasicine.
2. It also contain volatile oil, betain and vasakine and Adhatoda
1. The leaves of vasaka are used to treat cough, asthma, fever, tuberculosis, piles,
jaundice, bleeding gum.
2. It is also used as an expectorant.
3. It has ability of bronchodilator.
4. The extract of leaves, bark and flower is used to treat bronchial, asthmatic and
5. It has anthelmintic property.
6. It has property of sedative, antispasmodic, anti- inflammatory, antidiabetic
7. It is used to treat leprosy, blood disorders, heart troubles, thirst, vomiting.
8. Its decoction has ability to treat cold and rheumatism
Synonyms: Tolu Balsam; Thomas balsam; opobalsam; resin
tolu; balsam of tolu
Biological Source: Tolu Balsam is obtained by incision of stem
of Myroxylon balsamum (L.) Harms., belonging to family
Color: yellowish-brown or brown,
Taste: aromatic vanilla like
It is insoluble in water and petroleum ether; soluble in alcohol,
1. Tolu Balsam contains resin (80%)
2. Volatile oil (7.8%) – Benzyl benzoate;
3. Free organic acid – Cinnamic acid and Benzoic acid (8%)
4. It is also contains esters such as, benzyl cinnamate, vanillin,
styrene, eugenol, ferulic acid.
1. To the alcoholic solution of tolu balsam, when a few drops
of ferric chloride are added, green colour appears due to the
presence of acidic group of benzoic acid and Cinnamic acid.
2. Mix 1 gm of balsam adds 5 ml of potassium permagnate and
boil, odour of bitter almond (due to formation of
benzaldehyde) is produced.
1. Balsam of Tolu is used as an expectorant, stimulant, and
2. It is an ingredient of cough mixtures and compound benzoin
3. It is also used as a pleasant flavouring agent in medicinal
syrups, confectionery, chewing gums, and perfumery.