2. Every campaign needs a proper
plan and strategy that not only sets
a strong base for execution, but also
forces us to do proper market
research and articulate aims/goals
at every step. Here are the six steps
to create a perfect digital marketing
While most of the businesses are
concentrating only on executing
their campaigns, they miss out the
sensitivity and attention-to-detail
involved in their planning. This leads
to a lot of confusion while executing
a campaign and affects the outcome
Here is how you can do market research:
• Use Google Trends to understand interests and
historic data for the related keywords.
• Use AdWords Keyword Research Tool to understand
the inventory available for all related keywords for your
services and products.
• Use SimilarWeb, Alexa or SfyFu to learn about the
competitors and their efforts online.
Follow the 5S’s of digital marketing -
• Sell – Goals related to making sales
• Speak – Interact, participate and communicate with
your customers across web
• Serve – Add value to services or products by adding
more value to your products or services
• Save – Save costs or cut down costs to generate sales
• Sizzle – Reach out to more people and extend your
brand to a bigger audience
Here are the steps to define your channel
• List down all the channels that can be used for the
• Segregate the channels based on the value it creates
viz., Awareness, Conversion or Nurturing.
• Now define goals like we defined in our previous step.
Ex: Bring at least 100 sign ups through AdWords
Search Campaigns in a month.
• List down all the essentials and tools. Set objectives
and policies for each of these tools.
Here are a few things that needs to be considered for
setting a tone for your content development:
• Define your tone based on your target audience – Casual,
Quirky, Corporate, Semi-Casual, etc.
• Define the list of keywords that relate to the product, service,
promotion or the campaigns. Ex: affordable marketing
campaigns, effective digital marketing, etc.
• Define usage of imagery and colors for the campaign that
goes with your brand. Ex: diversity of people in the images
used, colors that can be used for the fonts, etc.
Here are the steps to be followed for setting the
• Assign budgets based on the objective of the
campaign. Follow the 70+20+10 rule to start with. For
example, if your campaign objective is sales, then
assign 70% of total budgets for sales, 20% for
awareness and 10% for nurturing the prospects.
• Now that you have a number for how much you want to
spend at each stage, prioritize all the channels based
on the set goals and set a number for each of them.
Here are the steps involved in planning your execution:
• Plan your marketing calendar that spells day-to-day tasks
and steps for execution across all planned channels.
• Define KPI’s for each channel that needs to be tracked on
regular intervals to get collective analytics.
• Define optimal time to execute each content type across
different channels based on historic data to get maximum
• Plan exit strategy for all possible outcomes.