2. WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
•Physical Therapy Students from
University of Colorado- Anschutz
•Physical therapists receive a medically
based knowledge that focuses on
prevention, remediation and compensation.
We focus on improving quality of life
•Basic body systems overview
•Basics of nutrition and health
•Biomechanics (the way you move) for work
7. BODY SYSTEMS
• Circulatory (heart)
–Decreased heart function
(not able to get blood to
where it needs to go)
–Diseases of the heart are
widespread throughout the
• Physical Activity
10. YOUR SPINE
• Supports your body weight.
• Protects your spinal cord.
• Surrounded by muscles.
• Parts of the spine:
–3 sections: Cervical, Thoracic, and
11. HOW TO KEEP YOUR SPINE SAFE
•4 out of 5 people will have back pain at some
point in their lives.
•Back pain may be caused many different
•We will teach you ways to minimize your risk
for back injury at home and at work.
• Stand tall and confident
• Hold your chest forward.
• Put your shoulders back
• Tuck your stomach in
• Slightly bend your knees
• Bear your weight mostly
on the balls of your feet
• Sit all the way back in a firm-
• Keep your upper body straight
and relax your shoulders.
• Keep your arms parallel to the
• Do not bend over the table.
• Do not slouch in your chair.
• Put a towel under your rear
bottom to make it easy.
• DO NOT:
–Reach out with weight.
–Bend your knees.
–Use your legs to lift.
–Keep your back straight.
–Use your stomach muscles.
–Keep the load close to your body
• Size up the load & communicate
• Side sleeping is the best
for your back; if you have
a firm mattress.
• Belly sleepers put a
small pillow under your
• Back sleepers, put a
pillow under your knees.
• For all of us: use a firm
mattress if possible.
18. MORE TIPS
• If you feel your back hurting, stop doing what makes it
hurt. Fix the problem.
– If this happens at work, tell your employer.
• Ask for help when lifting heavy things.
• Teach your friends, family, and co-workers.
• Store heavy things between knee and shoulder height.
• Be aware of surroundings
• STAY HEALTHY!!!!
– Eat well