LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
How to better measure content marketing
Who am I?
I’ve been doing SEO for over 10 years and I’m currently the Director of Strategy at BlueGlass, a London-based digital
marketing agency with a focus on SEO and Content Marketing.
We also have BlueGlass offices in Zurich and Tallinn.
The Drum 2016 Content Marketing
Agency of the Year
5 x Search Awards winner
1. Measuring links acquired (Majestic)
2. Measuring shares (BuzzSumo)
3. Measuring estimated reach (CoverageBook)
4. Measuring referral traffic (Google Analytics)
5. Measuring organic traffic (Google Analytics)
6. Measuring uplift in impressions or average rank (GSC)
7. Measuring number of search terms driving traffic to page (GSC)
8. Keyword ranking uplift (SEOmonitor)
9. Automated measuring (SEOmonitor)
How can you measure content marketing?
There is always a way to measure impacts if you plan ahead...
Bad ways to measureWhat are some horrible ways you can measure content marketing?
▪ Based on number of links opens it up to manipulation
▪ Targets may limit the opportunity to build more links
▪ Measuring links without considering TF/CF ends in tears
▪ Articles created without a reason should cause concern
▪ Set expectations of what you want at the end
Focus on the right aspects
Measurement is keyWhy do I need to better measure what we’ve done?
▪ Should be possible to calculate a ROI on all content
▪ Marketers will be held more accountable on spend
▪ You have to fight against PPC for budget
▪ You want to learn what impacts the business metrics
▪ How else can you learn from your mistakes?
Why is it important to measure?
Measuring linksDid you generate more links? Were they quality links?
ForecastingWhat might be the impact of content marketing?
▪ How established are the competitors?
▪ What is the SEO difficulty score on target terms?
▪ Average links per piece of existing content?
▪ Average number of links competitors are building?
▪ Referral traffic to content pieces?
▪ Organic traffic to current pieces?
Forecast potential impacts
How much content?Work backwards from your goals to estimate resources needed
■ How much additional organic traffic is needed?
■ How many terms are being targeted?
■ How much referral traffic is needed?
■ How many quality links are you behind?
■ How much content do you currently have?
■ How does the content fit in with the purchase cycle
Honestly how much do you need?
Tracking successContent marketing should have a goal or KPI that is influential
▪ SEOmonitor can help (try it here)
▪ Dashboards in Majestic can help track competitors
▪ CoverageBook can track reach of content
▪ YoY comparison to avoid factoring in seasonal trends
▪ Compare target pages against a control group
How to report you results