2. WHAT IS SEO
▪ SEO – stands of Search Engine
▪ It's an skillset to improve the visibility of
website on organic search results to drive
targeted traffic from Search Engine.
▪ It is also called as natural results or
5. ONPAGE SEO CHECKLIST
1. Meta Tags – Title, Description, H1 and Keywords tags
2. Internal and External links
3. Page naming / URL Structure / Permalink
4. Anchor Text
5. Alt Tags and Optimizing Images
6. Content Optimization
8. URL Canonicalization
9. HTTP Vs HTTPS
10. Creation of XML / HTML /ROR Sitemap & it’s
6. 11. Keyword Proximity, keyword Prominence, Keyword
cannibalisation and Keyword Density
12. Important Places where keyword has to be inserted in
website / Keyword Prominence
13. How to implement google analytics in website.
14. Duplicate Content
15. Broken link analysis
16. What is Bread Crumbs ?
17. Social media icons
18. Implementing social sharing buttons
19. 301, 302, 403 and 404
20. Custom 404 Implementation Web page
21. Difference Do Follow & No-follow
7. Important Places Where Keyword has to
• Keywords tag
• URL Structure
• H1, H2 & H3 tags
• Alt tags (image)
• Content (first sentence and last sentence of
• Important words in Bold
8. Meta Tags: Title
• Google only recognizes 71 characters with spaces
• Place the most important keywords for that page
in the title tag and keep them as close to the
beginning of the tag as possible.
• Keep non-keyword terms to a minimum.
• Each page should have a unique title focusing on
the keywords for that page.
9. Meta Tags: Description
• The Meta description is almost as important as the title tag
when it comes to converting clicks because this small snippet of
content will tell the user whether or not your link is worth
• Ideally, once a user reads your title tag they will then read your
meta description and it will entice them enough to click to your
• Descriptions should be written with a marketing style of
• Use this tag smartly. Describe your page content and try to use
your most competitive keywords in the text. Use no more than
• Descriptions should be between 25 and 40 words.
10. META KEYWORDS TAGS
▪ Add not more than 5 keywords or key
▪ Google has ruled out the use of Meta
Keyword tag for ranking factor but it helps in
ranking for other top search engines.
11. Page Naming / URL Structure / Permalink
1. It is always better to use keywords in Page URL.
2. Keep URL short, Clean and easy to read.
3. Avoid the use of "&", "spaces?" etc
4. Do not use under score (_) while separating the keywords
12. Meta Tags: H1 Tag
• H1 tag is the title or headline of a particular page. The
most important heading tag is the h1 tag and least
important is the h6 tag. In HTML coding the header tags
from h1 to h6 form a hierarchy. This means that if you
skip any of the tag numbers (ie. jump from 1 to 3) the
heading structure will be broken, and this is not ideal for
• Use H tags with each of your main article headings /
sections. Use h1 for the main headings and the rest in h2,
h3, h4 and so on. Try use your keywords in the headings
and highlight them in the eye of search engines with
these H tags.
13. Heading Tags
▪ H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6
Important Must know
▪ Commonly used Heading tags - H1, H2, &
▪ One H1 tag per page should be
▪ Insert one seed keyword in H1 tag
▪ Use H2 as an alternative to h1 tag.
14. Alt Tags and Optimizing Images
• Text on the image should describe what the image is and
incorporate keywords accordingly.
• Alt tag is essentially naming of an image. Use keyword Phrase
in the name of your image.
▪ Compress the image size before uploading to your website.
▪ Always use .jpg, .gif .png images
▪ Rename image with keyword or similar
Get traffic to your website from Google image search.
15. Anchor Text
Anchor text is a visible and clickable text in a hyper link displayed in a web page. The
word contained in the anchor text helps to determine the ranking that page will receive
from search engines. Anchor should normally be below 60 characters. The keywords in
anchor text are one of the many signals search engine use to analyze the topic of a
• Exact Match Anchor Text: An Exact match anchor has the same keywords
highlighted as the targeted keyword of a webpage.
• Backlink Anchor Text: A backlink anchor text is link from another website to your
website. The backlink anchor text is the anchor text used by other websites linking to
your website. The anchor text of these Backlinks help search engines determine the
most relevant keywords a web page should rank for.
• Spammy Anchor Text: A spammy anchor text is a link with an anchor text that has no
relationship to the page it exists on or the page it is linking to. Spammy anchor texts
are a common black hat SEO tactics to either temporarily rank for competitive
keywords such as "pay day loans" or "buy xyz" but can also be used as a tool to harm
a competitor's website or individual through negative SEO and Google bombing.
16. WHAT IS Keyword Proximity
Keyword proximity refers to the distance between
the search term's individual keywords.
Eg: “digital marketing course in Delhi”
Learn Digital Marketing course from one of the
leading training institute in Delhi.
17. KEYWORD PROMINENCE
Refers on how prominent are the keywords
within a specific web page.
This is one of the methods that is used for
search engine optimization.
18. Keyword Density
It is the percentage of times a keyword or
phrase appears on a web page compared to the
total number of words on the page.
In the context of search engine optimization
keyword density can be used as a factor in
determining whether a web page is relevant to a
specified keyword or keyword phrase.
19. KEYWORD DENSITY
Density = your keyword density
Rkr = how many times you repeated a specific words
Tkn = total words in the webpage
Keyword density = (Rkr / Tkn) x 100
= (5/ 500) x 100
= 0.01 x 100
Keyword density = 1% !!!
20. KEYWORD DENSITY TOOLS
Tool to check keyword density
▪ SEOQuake – Chrome Extension
▪ Yoast SEO (WordPress Plugin)
21. Keyword Cannibalization
Keyword cannibalization refers to the targeting of
the same keyword, term or phrase on multiple
pages of your website.
Each page of your website should be focused on one
primary keyword to get google rankings. If the
keyword is repeated on multiple pages then google
get confused and it doesn't help in your rankings.
22. URL Canonicalization
Canonicalization is the process of picking the best URL when there are several
Choices, and it usually refers to home pages.
The changes or redirections can be done with the help of HT access files.
HTML fix :
23. Content Optimization
The process of developing a website is to generate relevant traffic
to website and give more information about our business to the
targeted audiences. Content plays a vital role for any website.
Steps to Perfectly Optimizing Any Content
• Content should be unique and fresh
• Content should be updated according latest standards
• Content should match user requirement
• Create quality and user friendly content
• Produce Calls-To-Action
• Optimize Engagement With Visuals
• Optimize images and videos
24. Internal and External links
• Internal Links: Internal links are links that go from one page
on a domain to a different page on the same domain. They
are commonly used in main navigation. Internal linking will
help you to engage your customers within the website.
Internal linking will also help you to control the bounce rate
• External Links: External links are defined as one links from
one website to another website. Adding links to relavant
external high quality website builds a good relation in the
eye of search engines and this trust will help the websites to
get higher positions on search engines.
25. What is Internal Links
An internal link is a type of hyperlink on a webpage to another
page or resource, such as an image or document, on the same
website or domain.
These type of links are useful for three reasons:
• They allow users to navigate a website.
• They help establish information hierarchy for the given
• They help spread link juice (ranking power) around
26. What is External Links
▪ External Links are hyperlinks that point at
(target) any domain other than the domain
the link exists on (source).
▪ In layman's terms, if another website links to
you, this is considered an external link to your
▪ Similarly, if you link out to another website,
this is also considered an external link /
27. Robots.txt File
Robots.txt is a text file webmasters create to instruct web
robots (typically search engine robots) how to crawl pages
on their website.
User-agent : [user-agent name] / *
Disallow: [URL string not to be crawled] /
• What is it?
• How to utilize it
• Don't get confused
28. Robots.txt File
• Its like the front door to your house!
• Can block search engine robots, or let them
see that your want them to see.
– Great for hiding duplicate content on your site!
– Other features as well we'll get into later.
• Remember it has an impact on link juice!
29. What are we doing with this
• Build a robots.txt file to hide duplicate content
• Upload the robots.txt file to the website.
• Check the file using Google Webmaster
30. NO FOLLOW LINKS
Nofollow links attributes do not allow search engine bots to
▪ That means if the website owner is linking back to you with
Nofollow attributes, it does not pass on link juice (ranking
▪ Only Humans when they click on the link, they will be able to
follow the links.
▪ Though some time back Google made it clear that they don’t
consider Nofollow link attributes but weightage of such links
are really less.
▪ Even though, it’s a good practice to use Nofollow link attribute
to those link, where you don’t want to pass link-juice.
31. Types Of No-Follow
Robots Meta Tag : <meta name=”robots”
This tells bots/crawlers/spiders not to follow
links on the full page.
Link Attribute : <a
This tells search engines not to count the link
in terms of ranking pages.
32. HTTP Vs. HTTPS
▪ Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the
secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which
data is sent between your browser and the website
that you are connected to.
▪ The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It
means all communications between your browser
and the website are encrypted.
▪ August 2015 Google officially announced that
switching website over to HTTPS will give you a
minor ranking boost.
▪ Why? Google prefers sites that are trusted and
33. Duplicate Content
Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across
domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar.
1. URL Variations
2. HTTP vs. HTTPS or WWW vs. non-WWW pages
3. Scraped or copied content
How to Fix?
1. 301 redirect
34. Setting Up Your XML Sitemap
What is XML?
XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language.
XML was designed to store and transport data.
• Using Yoast SEO XML Sitemap
• Submitting Your Sitemap Using Google
• Webmaster Tools / Search Console
35. Creation of XML Sitemap
1. XML sitemap is mainly for search engines
2. An XML sitemap file is a file with list of
information of each URL of a website, which
allows search engines to crawl the site more
Tool to generate XML Sitemap
36. Broken Links
What is a broken link, and what causes it?
A broken link is a link that doesn't work, often
resulting in an error page.
A broken link happens when the link points to
a web page that has been deleted or moved.
37. 301, 302, 403 and 404
• 301: Web page Moved permanently
• 302: Web page Temporary redirect
• 403: Web page forbidden (unauthorized
• 404: Web page file not found (broken links)
38. What is Breadcrumbs?
Breadcrumb navigation, or breadcrumb trail, is
an aid that allows website visitors to keep
track of their location within the hierarchy of
Home > Interior Page > Subsection of Interior
39. Social Media Icons
It is always better to showcase your social
media business pages, so that customers
knows where to find you, and how actively
participating with you customers.
More possibilities to increase likes, followers
40. Social Sharing Buttons
Sharing is always caring, having social share
buttons, help the website users to share your
product or service or content to their social
profile, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+
Google love social signal, and recommend it as
a very important ranking factors.
41. Important Points to Noted
• After optimizing the website according to SEO standards only
the make your website live into the server.
• SEO ranking depends on keyword traffic and how good SEO
optimization is done on the website
• Check you website loading time both in desktop and mobile
• SEO is a lengthy process
• Responsive website is important factor