Audio Information and Media
It uses audio or recordings to deliver and transfer information
through the means of sounds.
It may refer to:
• Analog tape cassettes
• Digital cd’s
• Computer files containing audio.
Characteristics of Audio Information
1. Clarity of voice
2. Relevant to the topic
3. Clear pitch of the audio
4. Appropriate length
5. Appropriate language
6. Unbiased content
Sources of Audio Information Media
Audible information can be heard anywhere even without the
help of any medium. A person speaking is heard by people around
him and that can already be an example of audio information and
Historically, the radio is the first and the original broadcasting
Nowadays, people have multiple choices as to what kind of
medium is used in order to get audio messages, may it be
informative, persuasive and entertaining.
Advantages of Audio Information
• Useful to add, maintain and stimulate interest.
• Can be used as a set introduction strategy.
• Can clarify problems and ambiguity.
• Can aid memory.
• Can be used in stimulating emotions.
• Useful in distant learning.
• Helpful in stimulating creative thinking, increase imagination.
• Helpful in learning language.
Limitations of Audio Information Media
• Extra resources are needed.
• Audio media could be costly.
• Power failure issues can disturb the learning environment.
• Strong lesson planning is to be done.
• Trained teachers are needed who can manage it effectively.
Hearing vs. Listening
Clearly, hearing is different from listening because of the
level of stimulus involved. Hearing, in it’s most literal sense is just
acknowledging the sound waves that reached the ear. On other
hand, listening requires comprehension in order to generate
reaction and feedback.
Learning Out Loud
It is similar learning with sounds. Some learners can learn
with music or background music while studying. Also, Learning
out loud means that learning is more effective when aided
with sounds because the more senses involved in learning, the
better. Thus, if the teachers can use the visual and auditory at
the same time, more learning is developed among students.
Audio files may vary in so many divisions music, podcast,
information and entertaining.
Design Principle and Elements
Audio information does not have an extensive scope in
terms of principle and elements. It is generally labeled, but can
identified by the following:
AUDIO CLIPS. An audio clip is a category of bigger idea, which is
RECORD. An audio file that is stored on tape or on a click.
EARCON. Short sound phrases that are used to mainly in
computers to support computer commands like shutting down,
starting up, opening windows etc.