Science is a source of progress. It develops the world we live in.
Our century is an epoch of great discoveries in science and
engineering. It is epoch of scientific and technological revolution,
when new ideas are being born and new discoveries, inventions are
being made at an ever increasing rate.
Today science has become the most important factor in the
development of national economy in the whole world. Scientific
progress serves the interests of society, helps to increase the well -
being of people and develops public education.
But science may be turned both for peace and military purpose. It
can take good forms and evil forms. researches help us in our life:
at home, at work, at school and make the level of the country
KKnnooww –– kknneeww –– wwaanntt ttoo kknnooww
It is the wheel which enabled the first
primitive carts and other forms of
The discovery and invention of the proper
cultivation of penicillin has become the
basis of many other essential organic
The Chinese and Egyptian civilization,
played a highly instrumental role in the
development of paper.
The steam engine was at the heart of the
industrial revolution which revolutionized
Benjamin Franklin was able to show
lightening created electric charge.
AAnnsswweerr tthhee qquueessttiioonnss
1) Inventions – are they harmful or useful?
2) What makes people invent?
3) What can we do without modern gadgets?
4) Has the Mankind become happier with the
appearance of modern inventions?
5) Is it difficult to be a scientists?
Match the iinnvveennttiioonnss aanndd iinnvveennttoorrss
ELECTRICITY Wilhelm Konrad von
Alexander Graham Bell
John S. Thurman
Translate into English
2. делать, производить
6. делать открытие
8. творить, создавать
12. без провода
Find a single word equivalent
1. A small device
2.To make bright or brighter
3. Absolutely necessary
4. To work, act or function
5. Common or ordinary
6. Increase in value or excellence
7. To call to a contest
8. A devise, especially,
an electrical or
gas-operated household device
Is scientific research a great mankind’s harm or good?
Is necessity always a reason of a scientific invention?
How to estimate uniqueness of a discovery?
Is one discovery a reason to appear another ones?
How does a wheel’s invention influence a mankind’s progress?
The first group
create Google site
to find the
information in Wiki
to write stories about
famous scientists and
inventors and their
The second group
do researching projects
to create multimedia
The third group
Students work on
and complete tasks
After project work
1. Agree precise specification for the project
2. Plan the project - time, team, activities, resources.
3. Communicate the project plan to your project team -
and to any other interested people and groups.
4. Agree and delegate project actions.
5. Manage and motivate - inform, encourage, enable the
6. Check, measure, monitor, review project progress -
adjust project plans, and inform the project team.
7. Project follow-up - train, support, measure and report
results and benefits (reflection).
BBeenneeffiitt ffrroomm tthhee pprroojjeecctt
• You become more creative, tolerant and
• You are able to formulate a problem, put
purposes and tasks, present different forms
and results of your project activity.
• To have a possibility to make decisions in
• To learn to work in different Web 2.0.
New Millennium English -11 О. Гроза, о. Дворецкая и др.