1. Emery G. Rahrs II
Goal orientated professional able to deliver realistic, customer-responsive services, and projects.
Respected for troubleshooting acuity and the capacity to think with “organizational awareness” for
more effective outcomes. Independent work habits, intuitive business sense, and an instant grasp of
new technologies dedicated to steer streamlined operations, within a cost-effective and productive IT
2016-Present Information Technology Specialist, United States Department of Agriculture
• Provide user network account support to include setup, configuration, troubleshoot user
account problems and daily user support issues.
• Provide training, and troubleshooting on a variety of workstation, core software applications,
certified hardware, and approved hardware accessory
• Work with managers, peers, and customers to identify equipment, procedures, and policies
that will improve customer service and lower the cost of operations
• Work with network operations staff to provide support on phone systems to include
programming, end-user support, and troubleshooting.
• Work with users to ensure they can meet two-factor authentication policies for secure access
to the network
• Perform server system administration and support including monitoring and restoring
backups, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol leases, manages user accounts through
Active Directory on domain to include adding, removing, and moving user accounts.
• Support virtual office and cloud computing
• Manage and deploys workstations through entire life cycle.
• Deploy and provide support for wireless mobile devices
• Directly perform or coordinate the sanitization and disposal of excess equipment according to
property policies. Completes forms, obtains necessary signatures and provide reports to
Project Lead or accountable property officer.
• Enterprise VTC – Provide Video Teleconference (VTC) support to include “First-level”
support for all conference issues, assisting users as necessary, and checking and maintaining
all device connections.
• Provides support to users with Enterprise Voice-Over-Internet Protocol (EVoIP) issues to
include moving phones, connecting phones, limited programming, and assisting with the
isolation of phone problems.
• Deploys equipment and keeps inventory database up-to-date and accurate.
• Support managers, Project Leads and customers by assisting with information technology
support for facility moves and renovations.
• Perform site surveys to ensure facilities meet policy requirements and reports discrepancies to
2. Rahrs / 3
2008-2015 ASSOCATE SYSTEMS ENGINEER, Union Pacific Railroad, Omaha, NE
Responsible for remote personal computer support.
• Diagnosed Ethernet and wireless connectivity issues, server access issues, operating system
issues, hardware and software issues.
• Installation and maintenance of software, both commercial and in-house developed.
• Provided training and coaching on usage and best practices, for both hardware and software
utilized within the company.
• Liaison between end users and product owners to provide timely resolution of problems.
2000-2008 MANAGER 1, Union Pacific Railroad, Omaha, NE
Managed and directed 19 local area network administrators across 23 states to ensure customer
operations and project completions.
• Managed various projects ranging in scale from 10 to 7000 devices.
• Managed 19 to 37 personnel during projects.
• Responsible for communication with all shareholders to ensure expectations are
clearly defied and outstanding issues are resoled in a timely.
• Responsible for budget and project development through completion, coming in on schedule
and under assigned budget.
1997-2000 SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER, Union Pacific Railroad, San Antonio, TX
Responsible for customer support, implementation, maintenance and distribution of software in a
• Worked extensively administrating a Novell 4.11 and Windows NT 4.0 in a WAN
• Provided user support for Lotus Notes, MS Office and other desktop applications.
• Additional responsibilities included configuration of software for mass distribution and
• Independently developed and implemented projects within the scope of assigned
territory in accordance with system wide project objectives.
• Responsible for training additional support personal across southwestern states on
new hardware, client operating system and network operating systems.
1997-2000- INSTRUCTOR, DataTrain Institute, San Antonio, TX
Instructor for the following certification courses:
• Certified Network Systems Technician Course
• Microsoft Exchange 5.5
• Microsoft TCP/IP
• Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
• Microsoft NT Server, Workstation and Enterprise
• Novell 4.X CNA Course
• A+ Certification
• ETA Certified Customer Service Specialist
1995-1997 GENERAL MANAGER, Micro Specialist, Inc., San Antonio, TX
3. Responsible for the day to day operations of this retail service and computer support business.
• Provided direction and vision to technical and sales personnel. Doubled gross revenue within
a 2 year period by implementing innovative processes and cost saving measures.
Rahrs / 2
1990-1995 CUSTOMER SUPPORT TECHNICIAN, Micro Specialist, Inc., San Antonio, TX
Responsible for maintenance and support of computer hardware, software, and associated peripherals
in a retail environment.
• Worked extensively configuring and installing personal computers, designing, configuring,
installing and maintaining LANs and WANs including Novell Netware and Microsoft
1984-1990- DATA SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN, United States Navy
Responsible for the repair and maintenance of Intelligence and Over the Horizon Targeting Computer
Systems. Held TOP SECRET/SCI SECURITY clearance.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Project Management large/small scale
Project scheduling, budgeting and supervision
Customer Service Staff Supervision
In-service and Training (Staff and Customers)
Negotiating Bids, Contracts, Leases, Price
Bottom Line Management
Network Topology Design and Implementation
Network Maintenance and troubleshooting
MS- Windows(All Releases)
Microsoft Office Applications
Microsoft Exchange 5.5
Internet Information Server
Rahrs / 4
2006- Leadership Development Program- LDP/CCL
2005- Management Action Workshop (LGI)
1999-Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
1999-Certified Web Technician (CWT)
1999-Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE)
1998-Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
1998-Microsoft Certified Professional +Internet (MCP+I)
1997-Certified Network Systems Technician (senior) (CNST)
1997-Certified Electronics Technician (senior) (CET)
1997-Certified Customer Support Specialist (CSS)
1996- Certified Lantastic Installer
1995- Certified NetWare Administrator (CNA)
1984-1986-Naval Computer Maintenance and Electronic Schools
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at San Antonio, TX