LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau,
the majority of people in the U.S will
identify as people of color within the
next 40 years. Statistics from the U.S.
Dept. of Commerce show the minority
business community is growing at
twice the rate of the general business
Why We Care
Top 5 WORST Paying States
NJ - .42 cents
• CA - .42.9 cents
• TX – 44.2 cents
• WA – .46.5 cents
• UT – .47 cents
Talent Mgt. JAN/FEB 2016. P.42.
According to U.S. Census Bureau, black & Latino women
working full time experience the most significant wage gap,
earning a respective $.60 & $.55 on every $1 men earned
• Born before 1945.
• 10% of workforce.
• Influenced by the Military.
• 30 million people.
• Most affluent group.
• The 1st Generation.
• Delayed Gratification -work
first, pleasure later!
2. Baby Boomers
• Born 1945-1964.
• Most influential group.
• 80 million people.
• Work ethic defined by time.
• Important to be a team
• Contributors to the team are
• Honor trust, loyalty, and
responsibility, but distrust
3. Gen Xers
• Born 1964-1980.
• Prove it to me.
• 45 million people.
• Loyal to people, NOT
• Move from job-to-job more
• Carpe Diem – Seize the day!
• Grew up with AIDS & MTV.
Value flexibility, life options,
and achieving job satisfaction.
• Born after 1980.
• 75 million people.
• Instant gratification.
• Quick feedback.
• Busy outside of work.
• Reward with time.
• Grew up in prosperous times. High
expectations, seek meaning in their
work. Career goals aligned with
becoming rich (81%) and famous
• Comfortable with
tech/social media savvy.
• Came of age 9/11 & Great
conscious of their futures
and the challenges they
- Patrick Cooper
“Organizations which excel at leveraging diversity
(including the hiring and advancement of women
and non-white men into senior management jobs,
and providing a climate conducive to contributions
from people of diverse backgrounds) will experience
better financial performance in the long run than
organizations which are not effective in managing
• The benefits your organization derives from
achieving true diversity & inclusion extend far
beyond legal compliance to include:
– More effectively connecting with customers;
– Motivating your employees;
– Fostering greater innovation and creativity, as people
from different backgrounds challenge each other and
having people from different backgrounds fosters a
constantly evolving culture;
– Become a preferred employer, which makes YOUR job
– A MUCH larger recruiting pool;
• The benefits your organization derives from
achieving true diversity:
– Ability to conduct business in more markets across
– Facilitates more agile learning culture;
–IT’S NOT PUNISHMENT; IT’S A
TRUE, LASTING COMPETITIVE
• More equitable pay and gender-balanced
• Huge influx of non-White professionals in
• White males still dominate management.
• Aging workforce.
• Surface-level versus deep-level
• Infusion of veterans.
“A study of 700+ US companies found that implementing
diversity training programs has little positive effect and may
even decrease representation of black women. Most people
assume that diversity policies make companies fairer
for women and minorities, though the data suggest otherwise.
Even when there is clear evidence of discrimination at a
company, the presence of a diversity policy leads people
to discount claims of unfair treatment. In previous research,
we’ve found that this is especially true for members of
dominant groups and those who tend to believe that the
system is generally fair. In another set of experiments, we
found that diversity initiatives also seem to do little to convince
minorities that companies will treat them more fairly.”
Tessa Dover, Cheryl Kaiser, Brenda Major
Diversity Can Backfire
• Target your recruiting efforts to specific
• Women and minorities show greater
interest in employers that customize their
recruiting efforts to them.
• Place an emphasis on fairness and
objectivity in employee selection.
• Similarities in personality traits with co-
workers critical for career success.
“What do all high
performers in our
company - across all
positions – have in
Ask Your Managers
• Thrive in chaos.
• Work independently.
• Respond well to change.
• Strong relationship-builders.
• Great teammates.
• Problem-solvers/Critical thinkers.
• What do YOU look for?
Seek Specific Attributes