NAME : Siddharth Tiwari
COURSE : B.Tech CSE
SUBJECT : Computer Architecture & Organisation
SCHOOL : MSOET
SUBJECT TEACHER : DR. KALYAN ACHARJYA
• What is Instruction Set
• Components of ISA
• Types of ISA (CISC and
• ISA Characteristics
• Importance of ISA
4. WHAT IS INSTRUCTION SET ARCHITECTURE?
•Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) defines the interface between
hardware and software.
•It specifies the instructions a computer can execute, including their
format and operation.
•ISA plays a vital role in the organization and design of computer
5. COMPONENTS OF ISA
ISA comprises several essential components :
•Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)
8. TYPES OF ISA
ISA can be broadly classified into two types:
• Complex Instruction Set Computer (CISC)
• Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC)
Each type has distinct characteristics and design
9. Characteristics of CISC
CISC processors have:
• A large and diverse instruction set
• Complex instructions
• Varying opcode
• CISC offers ease of programming but can be less efficient.
• Low speed
• High power consumption
• General purpose application
10. Characteristics of RISC
RISC processors have:
• A small and simple instruction set
• Simple instructions
• Emphasis on pipelining
• Target based application
• RISC excels in performance but may require more code.
• Fixed opcode
• High speed
• Low power consumption
•In conclusion, ISA is a critical concept in computer
•It defines how software communicates with hardware.
•Understanding ISA is essential for computer scientists,
engineers, and programmers