Slides from the IFLA ARL Hot Topics 2023 session held in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on 22 August 2023.
Presentation by: Satveer Nehra and Sadanand Bansode (India)
Access the recording on YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/3xdkmbtb
IFLA ARL Hot Topics 2023: Artificial Intelligence and ChatGPT in Academic and Research Libraries: Challenges and Opportunity
1. Artificial Intelligence and ChatGPT in
Academic and Research Libraries:
Challenges and Opportunity
Satveer Singh Nehra
PhD Research Scholar
Department of Library and Information Science
Savitribai Phule Pune University, INDIA
3. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 3
• Libraries are working towards the advancement of
society through efficient services.
• Due to information overload, quick and straightforward
access to information is needed.
• Artificial intelligence (AI) has transformed various
aspects of human society, including education,
research, and libraries.
• ChatGPT: a new normal!
10. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 10
PRESENT ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH
• Academic and Research libraries are crucial in supporting
research and scholarly communication.
• Their services include research data management, e-science,
open access, library publishing, web archiving, and digital
• Academic and research libraries also need to collaborate with
other units and partners within and outside their institutions to
create research infrastructures that support creating and
disseminating new knowledge.
• The COVID-19 pandemic expedited the adoption of remote
access and digital platforms, primarily driven by advancements
in artificial intelligence (AI).
• Libraries and ChatGPT: A collaboration worth doing.
11. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 11
OPPORTUNITIES OF IMPLEMENTING AI &
ChatGPT IN LIBRARIES
• Specialised Librarianship
• To Reshape Librarianship
• Real Time support and guidance
12. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 12
• Indexing & Collection Development
• Suggestion on collection development & Preservation
• New tools and services
• To access enormous resources
13. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 13
CHALLENGES OF IMPLEMENTING AI &
ChatGPT IN LIBRARIES
• Affecting reading habits and decline in user visits
• Decreased enthusiasm due to lack of interpersonal interaction
• Decreased creativity and critical thinking
14. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 14
• Lack of transparency and biases in information
• Ethical concerns
• Lack of clear guidelines and policies
15. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 15
• Financial and infrastructural issues
• Job loss
• Non-availability of skilled staff & Technological challenges
16. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 16
• The influence of AI and ChatGPT on academic and research libraries is expected to significantly
impact their capacity to provide information access, preserve collections, and develop innovative tools
• AI represents a promising interdisciplinary approach to enhancing library operations and services.
17. 2023 IFLA WLIC 2023 17
1. Seeing the present scenario of ChatGPT, can we rely on the
information provided by ChatGPT?
2. What changes do the library professionals have to adopt on the
backdrop of AI and ChatGPT?
3. Will physical libraries exist in the future?