• Iran is located on the west side of Pakistan with
• Both countries are bound together in religion,
ethnicity and traditions.
• For example the Iranian Culture and Persian
4. Map of Pakistan
Iran on the West side
5. Pak-Iran Relations
• Pakistan and Iran have helped each other in various
• Iran was the first country to recognize Pakistan as a
• In 1949, prime minister Liaquat Ali khan visited
Iran and in return shah of Iran visited Pakistan.
• In 1950, a treaty of friendship was signed
between both L. A Khan and Shah of Iran.
• Iran was one of those country who supported
Pakistan in the 1971, Separation of Bengal
7. Baghdad Pact
• In 1955, Pakistan and Iran
sought the membership of
Baghdad pact which was
then called as CENTO.
However Pakistan had to
left CENTO in 1979 to
become a member of Non
8. 1964 RCD
• On July 1964, A friendship treaty
was signed between Iran Pakistan
and Turkey which was named as
• In 1985, the RCD was changed
with the new name as ECO.
• It provided
opportunities for both
countries to co-operate
in a number of fields. Civics of Pakistan
9. 1965 War
• During 1965 war, Iran helped
Pakistan at every aspect.
• Medical Supplies and tons of petrol
were send by Iran to Pakistan Army.
• Iran also purchased Sabre Jet
Fighters from West Germany and
then send them to Pakistan.
10. 1976 Earthquake
• During 1976 earthquake in Pakistan, Iran
provided a huge financial aid for the victims.
• In 1979 earthquake in Karman city of Iran,
Pakistan reacted very kindly and send aid to
11. The Iran revolution
• In Feb 1979, a great revolution
came under the Leader,
• The Shah of Iran left the country
after this revolution.
• After this revolution, Iran was
called as Islamic Republic of
13. Support of Pakistan
• Pakistan fully supported Iran on this
revolution. At that time there was Zia Ul Haq’s
• In 1980’s Iran-Iraq war Pakistan stood neutral
in this case.
14. 1992 visit
• In 1992, Iranian President Ali Akbar
Heshmi Rafsanjani visited Pakistan.
• Different agreements were done
between both countries on
educational and technological fields.
• There was full support by
Iranian president on issue of
15. 1993 MOU
• In July, 1993 there was a MOU signed
between both countries for increase in import
At the beginning it was of 25 tons and then it
increased to 200 tons.
16. Support on nuclear experiments
• In May 1998, Pakistan started nuclear
experiments and hence Iran fully supported on
this. 5 atomic bomb tests were done in this
17. Straining of Relations
• After 9/11 attacks in USA Pakistan became
ally of USA against terrorism as a front line
state. Due to this alliance, the relations of both
countries got cold
However afterwards, the situation started
18. Economic Improvement
• In 2000, Negations were done among both
officials for possible routes and modes of
transport and gas pipeline projects.
• In 2008 Iran provided financial support in
installing of energy project of $60 million
• In 2009, a project of
Rail Line of worth
Its route was from
Islamabad to Istanbul
• This project
in the year 2015.https://www.dawn.com/news
20. Gas Pipeline Project
• The main project among both countries was of
The first project was signed in Feb, 2010.
21. Map Route of Pak-Iran Gas pipeline
The red line shows the path of gas pipeline from Iran to
Gawadar and then towards Nawabshah-Sindh https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/w
22. Exports and Imports
• Iran imports large quantity of
wheat, rice, seeds, fabrics
and leather etc. from
• In turn, Iran provides Fruits
(i.e. Apples and dry fruits),
fertilizers and iron ore to
23. COAS visit to Iran
• In Nov, 2017 Qamar Javed
Bajwa visited Iran. The Iranian
President, Hassan Rouhani
• In their meetings, both
determined to improve
• Qamar Bajwa termed
Pak-Iran border as border
of peace and highlighted
on its better management.
• He also focused on
the dialogue for
resolution of mutual
• COAS’s 3 days visit to Iran was very
pleasant. Both countries signed
agreements for the improvement of
relations in future
• The focus was on political,
economical and social issues.
• Guard of Honor to Qamar Bajwa was
also given by Iranian Army