Brief summary about the
person who wrote the book:
Born in Dublin, İreland,
Jennifer Johnston is an award
- winning novelist. She was
educated at Trinity College,
Dublin. She has won a number
of awards including the Costa
novel award and the Whitbread
book award, and a lifetime
achievement from the İrish
book awards. She has also been
nominated for the booker prize.
He calls into question everything she’s been taught to believe:
“After all,” he said gently, “Your grandfather was a killer too, and no one
makes sarcastic remarks at him for that. Not at all. They gave him
medals and a pension, He wasn’t even willing to defend his own
fatherland, indeed the very opposite. He was taking other people’s land
away from them. Creating an Empire for a little old lady with a thing
like a tea cozy on her head.”
The young view the chasm as vast, whilst the old view the
chasm as a mere dimple of years. It is also about changing,
that which we create ourselves and that which is foisted upon
“The old jest” puts a human face on Irish history. Written
simply about a simpler time – turned tumultuous, “The old
jest” is a thoughtful and ageless novel written by a master of
1) slightly – not considerably, to be a small degree
2) arrangement – a plan for how something will happen
3) insist – demand something forcefully
4) blush - to become pink in the face, usually from embarrassment
5) nod - a movement up and down with the head
6) pretend - to behave as if something is true when you know that it is not
7) disturb - to cause someone to be worried
8) persuade – to cause people to do something
9) cushion – pillow
10) desperate – hopeless
11) tidy – accurate
12) lounge - a room in a hotel airport, theatre, etc. where people can relax or wait
13) traitor - a person who is not loyal to their own country, social class, beliefs...
14) inspect – to check
15) rebel - mutinous
16) lorry - truck
17) faith – a particular religion
18) odd – strange
19) informer - a person who gives information in secret, especially to the police
20) confident - being certain of your abilities
21) grin - a wide smile
22) tramp - vagrant
23) fellow – co-worker
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.