2. •Economical causes: Ceremonial expenses during Ear
•Social Causes: Patriarchal mentality, Social
Female foeticide and infanticide:
1.Unbalaced sex ratio.
2.Overall increase in sex -ratio but decline
in child sex-ratio.
3.Lowest sex-ratio recorded in Punjab and
•Economical Impacts: Low % of working women-Decreased per
capita income-less access to financial resources-financial
•Social impacts: uneducated mother, uneducated girl child
,under developed nation ,a vicious cycle.
1.One out of every three women is
2.Early marriages and financial burdens
get them out of schools .
3.Preference given to educate men .
•High maternal mortality rate of 212
•Above 50% of pregnant women are anaemic
•53% of girls are undernourished.
1.Less than 40% of women give birth
in proper health facilities,2-3rds of
births not attended by trained
A Glance through the main Issues faced by the Indian Women
3. •Social causes: notion of patriarchy, alchoholism,drug abuse.
•Economical causes:unfullfillment of dowry promises.
1.70% women are victims of domestic
2.The abuser being ones
husband,father,brother and in-laws.
3.The women are hopeless and helpless.
•Social causes: orthodox and superstitious beliefs, uneducated
•Social effects: under nourished mother and child, uneducated
mother, increased mortality rates.
1.Acc to UNICEF 47% of girls are
married by 18 yrs and 18% by 15 yrs.
• Empowerment can only be achieved by ensuring
• Equal pay for equal work
4. What the govt can do???
1.Ensuring education ,proper
nutrition and sanitation facilities.
2 Increasing awareness abt
law,govt policies and incentives,
4.Increased political awareness
What the law can do???
1.Uniform civil code for all.
2.Timely enforcement of law and
express redressal of issues.
punishment s to wrong –doers.
implementation of govt policies.
5.Increase the accessibility of law
What the citizens can do???
1.Ensure full participation of
women in all levels of education
,from receiving it to imparting it.
2.Encouraging women to take
3.Teaching the women in every
household the importance of
nutrition and proper sanitation
facilities and hygiene.
4.Save women from ill-treatment
at home, in office and in public.
Three tier plan:-
5. Proposed Solutions
• Improvised Education.
• Ensuring accessibility of primary
education to all girl children and women.
• Learning self defence be made
compulsory at schools.
• Organising workshops to increase
leadership and entrepreneurship qualities
• Conduct programs in school that make
children aware of the perils outside
through active interaction with teachers.
• Conduct monthly meetings were a student
is allowed to discuss her problems
without fear with her friends and
• Teachers taking appropriate steps to
tackle her students problems discreetly.
• Imparting moral education to all so that
good values are inculcated
• Regarding the rights and legal policies
for positive discrimination of woman
• All the citizens should be made aware
of punishments for the ill-treatment
of women .
• Increase the accessibility of law to
women of all walks of life through
anganvadi and courtyard meetings
• Recruit volunteers with basic
education and transfer information
6. For rural Women
•Organising Self help groups and
NGO’s with the help of
entrepreneurship schemes and
providing credit facilities for the
•Providing job oriented training
•Increase the knowledge of
women through video
conferences with field experts.
•Train middle aged women and
midwives as nurses, this will
ensure a healthier surrounding.
•Increase access to technology
and also train them to use the
technology for their betterment
through trained volunteers.
For Working Women
•Flexible Transfer policies for
committees in the offices itself.
Each complaint committee
should at least meet once in a
month and a record should be
maintained regarding the
working of the committee.
•A complaint box should be kept
at a region where it can be
accessed by all the employees.
It should be ensured that no
camera is kept near such
complaint boxes. These boxes
should be cleared and the
grievances should be addressed
once in a week.
•Safe transportation be provided
for night shift workers.
•All women be acquainted with
the police officer of the nearest
For Urban Women
•As a long term plan, a website
should be created through
which each citizen can login
with his/her id and can opine,
complain or discuss about any
political matters. A provision to
report the Cases of atrocities
against women should be
•As a short term plan, mobile
apps should be made available
to each women so as to easily
reach the helpline number or
seek help in case of adversities.
•Entrepreneurship should be
assistance for the same must be
•Implementing a common
8. Lets make them healthy..
• Providing regular health education classes with emphasis on immunisation and
family planning at grass root level like anganawadis.
• Giving incentives for institutional deliveries, both to mother and health workers.
• Formation of community level peer groups for women.
• Facilitate identification and free treatment of malnourished children and mother.
• Compulsory health check-ups of pregnant women and proper post-natal care.
• To teach the mother elements of child care, nutrition ,personal hygiene and
• Iron and folic acid supplementation and medication as needed.
• Home visiting by a female health worker
• Referral services were necessary.
• Post natal care to prevent complication of post partal period.
• To provide care for rapid restoration of mother to optimum health.
• Stringent rules against sex determination during ultrasound.
9. Now wealthy..
• Increase property holdings of women, through implementation of laws.
This will ensure the women to feel more secure and worthy.
• Teaching them the importance of savings and increase their savings
through bank and investments.
• Ensuring greater political participation and awareness.
• Increase the number of working women force for greater development of
country through cooperative movements like amul,kudumbasree etc.
• Provide nurseries and day cares at work stations.
• Women friendly working atmosphere, including breast feeding rooms.
• Prevent child marriages by educating the parents of girl children.
• Stringent punishment be given for eve-teasers and acid attackers.
• Provide subsidies and tax benefits to women entrepreneurs.
• Free education for girl children and fees exemptions.
10. And lastly techie..
• Provide women with a device that would signal a loud siren
upon being pressed and attract peoples attention. Thus
protecting them from undesired advances from unsavoury
• Install an app that will alert the women that the region she
is in is dangerous and should be careful.
• Ensure fast and efficient handling of distress calls at all
• Train the personnels handling the calls coming on hotline
numbers wit sensitivity and empathy.
• Police should reach the scene as fast as possible and come
to the aid of the distressed.
• Conduct workshops to enhance entrepreneur skills.
11. Implementation of the plan
• Involvement of volunteers:
A team of ‘Proactive’ volunteers should be organised from the rural level itself. The team must include
Energetic, vibrant, creative,
Well versed in using technology,
Free during weekends.
Social service should be made a compulsory part of the curriculum.
Ex-service men and retired employees::
Ample free time,
Sincere and dedicated
Understand the problems better, help the ir counterparts in becoming better citizens.
Retired bank employees:
Impart valuable information about various credit facilities available.
Increase awareness about importance of banks and facilities provided by them such as fixed deposits etc.
Determine the eligibility of the applicant for loans and benefits.
Teachers , doctors and lawyers:
Respected by one and all.
Have greater influence.
12. The quotation is truer than ever before. The need for empowering women has become inevitable.
Studies have shown that women tend to spend their money on education ,nutrition and hygiene.
This shows that the women ensure over all development of everyone in her household.
She touches every life around her and makes it meaningful and fruitful. The roles of daughter ,
sister,wife,mother and many others she handles effortlessly ensures the upliftment of the society.
Now it is upto us to ensure that she is equipped with all facilities that will help her fulfil her position in life.
She can achieve it only if comes out of her house is educated, treated with respect and equality, given enough
confidence and support to make her self reliant and independent .so lets work at providing her with all that she
needs to fullfill all her roles with robust health and well informed thoughts , plans and actions.
“you can tell the condition of a nation by looking at the status of its women “