A PRESENTATION ON SUMMER
PRACTICAL TRAINING AT
400 KV G.S.S. HEERAPURA, JAIPUR
SUBMITTED TO- SUBMITTED BY-
MR. VIKAS BHALLA ISHAN KHANDELWAL
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY
• Definition of GSS
• About The GSS
• Single Line Diagram of GSS
• Incoming and Outgoing Feeders
• All Components and Equipments of GSS
• Transformer Repair Shop
• Oil Test Lab
DEFINITION OF G.S.S.
• A Substation is a part of an electrical generation, transmission,
and distribution system.
• A grid substation is a place where transmission voltages is stepped
up/stepped down using three phase transformers and assembly of various
equipment like circuit breaker, instrument transformer, bus-bars etc.
ABOUT THE 400KV G.S.S. HEERAPURA
• It is one of the First Grid Sub
Station in Rajasthan
• It was established in 1986 by
Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Prasaran
Nigam Limited under Govt. of
Rajasthan with capacity of 250
SINGLE LINE DIAGRAM
• Single Line Diagram (SLD) is a simplified notation for representing a three
phase Power System.
• It uses single lines and graphic symbols to indicate the path and component
of electrical circuits.
• The single line diagram of a power system is the network which shows the
main connections and arrangement of the system components along with
their data (such as output rating, voltage, resistance and reactance, etc.).
COMPONENTS & EQUIPMENTS OF GSS
• Lightning Arrestor
• Wave Trap
• Capacitive Voltage Transformer
• Current Transformer
• Circuit Breakers
• Protective Relay
• Power Transformer
• It discharges the over voltage surge to the
Earth and protects the other equipment from
lightning and switching surges.
• It is located at starting of the substation.
• Zinc Oxide surge arrestors are mainly used
for surge protection
• Core of L.A. is of ZnO2 which offer non-
linear resistance i.e. very high at normal
voltage and very low at surge voltage
• Wave trap is used to create high impedance to the
carrier wave high frequency communication
entering in to unwanted destinations typically
• Carrier wave communication uses up to 150kHz
to 800kHz frequency to send the all the
communication. These high frequency damages
the power system components which are
designed to operate 50 or 60 Hz.
• Wave traps are also called as line traps. It
consists of an inductor coil which is connected
in series with the high voltage power system
CAPACITIVE VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER
A capacitor voltage transformer (CVT), is a transformer used
in power systems to step down extra high voltage signals and
provide a low voltage signal, for metering or operating
a protective relay.
• The capacitive potential divider, inductive element and the
auxiliary transformer are the three main parts of the capacitive
• The CVT is also useful in communication systems. CVTs in
combination with wave traps are used for filtering high-
frequency communication signals from power frequency. This
forms a carrier communication network throughout the
transmission network, to communicate between substations.
The CVT is installed at a point after Lightning Arrester and
before Wave trap.
• A current transformer (CT) is a type of instrument
transformer that is used to measure AC current. It
produces an alternating current (AC) in its secondary
which is proportional to the AC current in its primary.
• Current transformers are the current sensing units of
the power system. Current transformers are used at
generating stations, electrical substations, and in
industrial and commercial electric power distribution.
• Current transformers are used extensively for
measuring current and monitoring the operation of the
• Isolator is a mechanical switch which isolates a part of
circuit from system as when required.
• Electrical isolators separate a part of the system from
rest for safe maintenance works.
• Isolators are used to open a circuit under no load. Its
main purpose is to isolate one portion of the circuit
from the other and is not intended to be opened while
current is flowing in the line.
• Isolators are generally used on both ends of the breaker
in order that repair or replacement of circuit breaker
can be done without and danger.
• A circuit breaker is an automatically operated
electrical switch designed to protect an electrical
circuit from damage caused by excess current,
typically resulting from an overload or short circuit.
• Its basic function is to interrupt current flow after a
fault is detected. Unlike a fuse, which operates once
and then must be replaced, a circuit breaker can be
reset (either manually or automatically) to resume
• SF6 circuit breakers are used in the G.S.S. because
due to superior arc quenching property of SF6 gas,
such circuit breakers have very short arching time.
• SF6 circuit breaker gives noiseless operation due to
its closed gas circuit and no exhaust to atmosphere
unlike air blast circuit breaker.
• No. of C.B. at 220 KV side : 12
• No. of C.B. at 400 KV side : 18
• A protective relay is a device that detects the fault and
initiates the operation of circuit breaker to isolate the
defective part from the rest of the system.
• Many relays use an electromagnet to mechanically
operate a switch, but other operating principles are also
used, such as solid-state relays. Solid-state relays
control power circuits with no moving parts, instead
using a semiconductor device to perform switching.
• Relays are used where it is necessary to control a
circuit by a separate low-power signal, or where several
circuits must be controlled by one signal.
• A type of relay that can handle the high power required
to directly control an electric motor or other loads is
called a contractor.
• A Transformer is a static machine used for
transforming power from one circuit to
another without changing frequency.
• Transformer operates on AC supply.
Transformer works on the principle of
• Power Transformer are used to step-down
the voltage at Sub-Stations.
• There are four Power Transformer
installed at Heerapura 400 KV GSS. These
are named as ILT-1, ILT-2, ILT-3 and ILT-
• An electrical bus-bar is defined as a conductor or a group of
conductors used for collecting electric power from the
incoming feeders and distributes them to the outgoing feeders.
• The bus-bar system consists of the isolator and the circuit
breaker. On the occurrence of a fault, the circuit breaker is
tripped off and the faulty section of the bus-bar is easily
disconnected from the circuit.
• The electrical bus-bar is available in rectangular, cross-
sectional, round and many other shapes. The copper and
aluminium are used for the manufacturing of the electrical bus-
• The bus-bar arrangement in 400 kV GSS at 400 kV side are
two main bus A and B. Both buses are aluminium hollow pipe
bus with diameter 114.2 mm and current carrying capacity is
2000 Amp. The bus-bar arrangement at 220 kV side are three
main bus D, E and F. These are twin moose conductor bus.
• One and half breaker Scheme is used at 400KV GSS
• Control panels contain meters, control
switches, and recorders located in the
• These are used to control the Sub-
Station equipment, to send power from
one circuit to another or to open or to
shut down circuit when needed.
• A battery room is a room in a facility
used to house batteries for backup or
uninterruptible power systems.
• Battery room has 55 batteries of 2 volts
each for 132kv section and 110
batteries for 220/400kv section.
Therefore, DC power available is for
functioning the control panels.
• A battery charger is used to charge the
• Heerapura GSS have Transformer
repair shop facility.
• It has several heavy equipments
and trained technicians.
• Power transformers are repaired
here which come here from all
over the Rajasthan
OIL TEST LAB
• 400 KV GSS Heerapura
has Oil Test Lab Facility.
• Transformer Oils are
tested here with the help
of various advanced
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.