1. John L. Sherk
68 Carousel Circle, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901 United States
267-406-2573 | email@example.com
• Excellent cultural competence and widespread experience in working with diverse populations.
• Long-running experience in working with addicts, the disadvantaged, and at-risk populations.
• Effective in employing creativity and an eclectic knowledge base to better serve clients.
• Highly integrated professional knowledge, values, and skills.
• Profound awareness of self.
Cairn University Langhorne, PA
Magna Cum Laude, Bachelor of Social Work, BS in Bible GPA: 3.8 December 2013
• ASIST suicide prevention
• Psych rehab training
• How to Work With People Who Hear Voices
HONORS AND AWARDS
Dean's List, 2009-2013
Merit Academic Scholarship Award, 2009-2013
Social Work Department's "Malachi Award"
Social Work Department's "Leadership Award"
Who's Who Among Students of American Colleges and Universities
Cairn Service Award
Cairn Alumni Association
Resources for Human Development Bryn Mawr, PA
Recovery Coach September 2014 - Present
• Lower Merion Counseling Services is a community-based mental health program designed to help people in the
mental health system achieve their goals and thrive in the community.
• Managed a full caseload of diverse clients, providing them with the supports they need to accomplish their goals,
whether individually or in a group setting.
• Counseled clients through the recovery principles, instilling hope and strength into their circumstances.
• Conducted rigorous assessments including: intake, recovery plans, coordinations with the psychiatrist/therapist,
Access Services Fort Washington, PA
Coordinator January 2014 - July 2014
• The Starting Point Program is a team-based mobile unit of social workers who serve people in the mental health
system, enabling and empowering them to be thriving independent contributors to society.
• Supported and served people with a vast array of needs including: counseling, emotional support, housing, finance
management, healthcare management, social support, spiritual needs, etc.
• Assisted clients in navigating the mental health system throughout Montgomery County, including coordinating
support with other mental health providers.
• Conducted and participated in numerous case reviews, trainings, support groups, and team activities.
2. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
TODAY, Inc. Langhorne, PA
Field Placement Social Worker August 2013 - December 2013
• TODAY, Inc. is a drug rehabilitation center that comprehensively treats adults and adolescents through their
• Counseled clients one-on-one throughout their treatment and recovery.
• Engaged and assessed clients through bio-psycho-social reports and forming their treatment plans.
• Led multiple groups, utilizing the 12-step program in the AA/NA tradition.
• Conducted follow-up reports with clients following discharge, and evaluated intervention.
Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission Philadelphia, PA
Field Placement Social Worker August 2012 - May 2013
• SBRM is a homeless shelter and drug rehabilitation center for men in Philadelphia.
• Designed, orchestrated, and taught a creative writing class to men in the drug recovery and rehabilitation program.
• Taught various group and mezzo-level classes with men in the recovery program.
• Conducted an in-depth research study to evaluate program effectiveness.
• Developed the recovery and rehabilitation program in coordination with my supervisor, and other chaplains on staff.
• Designed pamphlets, business cards, and website material for the organization.
U-Link Penndel, PA
Chairperson March 2009 - September 2012
• U-Link is a student-led organization that serves the comprehensive needs of local community around Cairn
• Recruited, organized, and led teams of volunteers for an after-school program for children and a door-to-door agency
• Formed the structure, protocols, training policies, and general policies of the organization.
• Worked in conjunction and coordination with the staff at Cairn University, Cairn University's Social Work
Department, and Calvary Community Church to serve the community.
• Conducted multiple board meetings with other leaders in the organization.
The Hope Center in Gorazde, Bosnia, Humanitarian Aid Worker, 2010, 2012
Advocates for the Homeless and Those in Need, Code Blue volunteer, 2009-2011
Chi Beta Sigma, SWK representative, Fall 2010-Spring 2011
Youth Against Complacency and Homelessness Today, volunteer, Fall 2009
Global Missions Week, board member, Spring 2012
Student Life and Chapel Services, bassist, Fall 2009-2013
Crimson Call, bassist, Spring 2013