2. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal disorder that
affects people with ovaries, often during their reproductive years.
It is characterized by a range of symptoms and can vary greatly from person
There are several myths and misconceptions associated with PCOS, which
can contribute to misunderstanding and stigma.
Here are some of the common myths and misconceptions:
While PCOS can affect fertility, it is not
solely a fertility problem.
It is a complex hormonal disorder that can
also lead to various other health issues,
including irregular periods, insulin
resistance, weight gain, and increased risk
of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and
mental health concerns.
The presence of cysts on the ovaries is just one of
the diagnostic criteria for PCOS, but not all
individuals with PCOS have visible cysts.
Diagnosis is typically based on a combination of
symptoms, hormonal imbalances, and ultrasound
Many patients may have ovarian cysts but do not
COS is actually quite common and is
estimated to affect around 10-15
% of women Globally
in reproductive age.
In India nearly 35 % adolescents suffer
from PCOS, showing
It is one of the most common
hormonal disorders in females in
• 2/3 FEATURES HAVE TO BE PRESENT
• ANOULATON & DELAYED PERIODS
• HYPERANDRONISM FEATURES CLINICAL
(HIRSUITISM ,ACNE, MALE TYPE OF HAIR
LOSS ) / BIOCHEMICAL
• ULTRASOUND FEATURES
• NO DOUBT WHEN PATIENT HAS ABNORMAL
FEATUESSHE CONSULTS GYNAECOLOGIST
PCOS is a chronic condition & Lifestyle
problem that cannot be completely
cured, but its symptoms can be
managed through lifestyle changes,
medication, and medical interventions.
Management of infertility is easier once
they have 10% weight loss
24. Myth 11
PCOS does not cause long term problem of heart
attacks ,stroke . why such hype of PCOS??
• OBESE PCOS PATIENTS CAN
PRECIPITATE EMERGENCY SITUATION
LIKE HEART ATTACK & EVEN STROKE IN
YOUNG WOMEN WITH MORID OBESITY.
• IT CAN EFFECT LIVER AS WELL CAUSING
FATTY LIVER OF VARYING GRADES . WE
HAVE NON ALCOHOLIC CIRRHOSIS IN
YOUNH GIRLS WITH INFERTILITY
Birth control pills can help regulate menstrual
cycles and manage some PCOS symptoms, but
there are other treatment options available,
lifestyle changes (diet and exercise),
fertility treatments if pregnancy is desired.
PCOS is associated with various health risks,
including an increased risk of type 2 diabetes,
mental health issues like depression and anxiety.
It should be taken seriously and managed
PCOS symptoms can vary widely from person
Some may experience irregular periods (
DELAYED Periods ),
while others may have excessive hair growth or
0-50% present with infertility .
It's important to tailor treatment plans to
32. Myth 15
PCOS patients do not require birth control measures as
they do not get pregnant without doctor medicines ?
• ALL CYCLES RE NOT
• SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO
BECOME PREGNANT & HAVE
USE CONTRACEPTIVES .
34. It's crucial to seek medical advice and diagnosis from a
healthcare professional if you suspect you have PCOS or
are experiencing related symptoms.
Proper diagnosis and management are essential for
addressing the condition and its potential health
35. 1. Fondly known as Teacher of Teachers
2. Director Lifecare Centre & Lifecare IVF
3. Founder & Secretary general of Delhi Gynaecologist forum , a body of over 2500 members .
4. Founder & Chairperson of North India Gynaecologist forum (NIGF) , body cover 8 stats + 2 union territory Delhi & Chandigarh
5. NMC / MCI : Ethical committee member ,an apex body of 14 lacs modern Medicine doctors since 2018 till date
6. Business World : Included her in Top 20 Most Influential women in Healthcare in INDIA (8/03/22)
7. DMC Expert since 2009 to till date
8. Passionate medical activist..has given leadership role in removing Female Feticide , Movement of Anemia, Save Uterus Campaign,
Save ovary Campaign and Every Mother Counts etc and now focusing on Zero mortality PPH, AMB , CCMB, Examination
of Survivor Sexual assault / rape & POCSO cases.
9. Given concept of JANANI SURAKSHA YOJNA & ASHA WORKER to GOI.
10. Spearheading movement of Doctors safety /Medico legal Awareness /Unity of North India Gynaecologists
11. Decorated with many Lifetime achievement & Living Legend Award from many bodies including LHMC AA, FOGSI ,DMA
,DGF , WOW India, Delhi ISAR, Cloudnine , Bharat Vishva parishad
Dr. Sharda Jain
M.D. (PGIMER), MNAMS,FICOG,FIMSA,DHM,