LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
Simple but effective presentation, prepared for a small company's key production persons (foremen and team leaders) to prepare the project of writing the full set of job breakdown sheets as first step of implementation of the TWI (Training Within Industry) methodology.
TWI – Training Within Industry
History of the TWI methodology:
• Developed in 1940’s in U.S.A. to quickly develop and
re-train unskilled work force in the industry
• TWI gave excellent results. All companies applied it
increased productivity (> 25%)
reduced training time (> 25%)
• After the war USA exported the TWI methodology in
Japan to help the industrial rebuilding
• The TWI methodology was adopted by Toyota,
improved and become part of the T.P.S.
• Today TWI is part of the “lean management” tools
used worldwide to standardize the work, standardize
the training of workers and quickly raise skills on
What is TWI?
The Training Within Industry TWI program is all about training
and coaching supervisors (“train the trainers”) giving them:
1. Knowledge of the work
2. Knowledge of the responsibilities of the job
The 3 J’s program
JI — Job Instruction Training — to train supervisors how to train employees to
quickly learn and consistently remember how to do any job correctly and safely.
JM — Job Methods Training — to train supervisors how to lead teams to quickly
improve job methods to produce more in less time, making the best use of
JR — Job Relations Training — to train supervisors how to lead people in ways that
prevent and quickly resolve problems.
The J.B.S. are developed
to support this phase of
• Synthetic way to standardize the work optimizing the skill
transfer to new employees
• It focus on main points and not list each single detailed motion
• It is not a “Complete Instructions Manual” for the job that can
be handed to the employees
• The main purpose is to help the instructor organize the job in
their mind and determine the best way to convey this
knowledge to the employee
• It’s written by the instructor as a tool “from us to our-self”
• They are organizing tools for the trainer, not for handing over
to the learner
What is inside a JBS
• Complete information about the task, task number, parts and
components used, tools, material, safety equipment, etc…
• Major Steps:
As it says – only major steps
Always start with a “verb”
Single short sentences
• Key points:
Tip and tricks (knowledge based on experience)
Any logical segment of
the operation that helps
advance the job or adds
value to the product.
• List all the steps in the
• Focus on the operator
point of view
• Major steps is not a full
description of motions
to be done
Screw the winch flange on
deck Yes – is a M.S.
Get screw driver from the
toolbox No - isn’t a M.S.
Any important issue related
to quality, safety and
information to know to
make the job better.
Each M.S. may have more
than one K.P.
Typical key points are info
1. Make the job
2. Break the job
2. Injure the worker
3. Make the work easier
Use graphic symbol to
make the JBS visual:
There is a difference between
child education and adult
Most of the adults while
learning need to know the
reason – WHY?
• Quality precautions
• Waste prevention
• Health precautions
• How the final result
should look like
• How match one part to
Third part – Pictures / Training aid
USE PICTURE FOR
REPRESENTATION OF KEY
Check pressure. The
right value must be
between 0.5 and 2.4
• Efficient way to standardize the work
• Rely on real technical document instead of
• Strong tool for a fast and effective training
• Starting point for a real “kaizen” on the floor
• Give strong value to the “supervisors” (team
Benefit of a well done set of JSBs