• According to the National Safety Council, an estimated
42,000 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2020.
• The National Highway Transportation Safety
Administration reported that of mechanical issues
resulting in crashes:
- 43% tire/wheel degradation/failure
- 21% brake degradation/failure
- 10.5% steering/transmission failure
• Neglecting maintenance can cause crashes.
• Monitor condition of and air pressure in your tires. Not
doing so could cause blowout or a flat.
• Change wiper blades regularly.
• Check your owner's manual for a maintenance schedule
and stick to it.
• Check tire pressure regularly, including the spare
(at least once a month).
• Inspect tires for:
-Uneven wear patterns
-Other signs of wear
• Ensure tire valves have valve
• Check tire pressure before a long trip.
• Do not overload vehicle – check tire info placard for
maximum recommended load.
• If towing a trailer, remember that some weight of
loaded trailer is transferred to vehicle.
• Try not to strike curb when parking.