4. * What is your opinion?
* Do you agree or disagree?
* To what extent do you agree or disagree?
The first part of the question for an IELTS opinion essay
will be a statement. You will then be asked to give your
own opinion about the statement. Here is some typical
wording that might be used:
7. * Discuss both views and give your opinion.
* Discuss both these views and then give your own opinion.
* Discuss both sides of this argument and give your own opinion.
The first part of the question for an IELTS
discussion essay will be a statement containing two
You will then be asked to discuss both sides of the
argument and give your own opinion.
Here is some typical wording that might be used:
10. The 3 essay types:
● Problem and solution
● Cause and solution
● Just the solution
IELTS problem solution essays are the most
challenging essay type for many people.
It’s important that you are able to recognize the common
synonyms, words and phrases used in problem solution
•Problem – issues, resulting, situation
•Cause – reasons, why
•Solution – deal with, addressed, tackled, remedied, improved,
measures taken, solved, prevent
Here are two typical IELTS problem solution essay
questions. They consist of a statement followed by the
question or instruction.
13. * 1. Small businesses are disappearing and
being replaced by large multinational
Do the advantages of this outweigh the
IELTS advantages and disadvantages essay
questions fall into two main categories:
* Questions that ask for your opinion.
* Questions that do not require you to state your
2. Most career choices demand vocational skills
or specialist knowledge. However, despite this,
most schools still teach academic subjects such
as history or social studies.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of
16. * They have one statement with two different
questions after it.
* The questions may or may not be linked.
IELTS double question essays are also known as ‘direct
question’ or ‘two questions’ essays. They are
distinguished by two characteristics: