Fundacja Rozwoju Społeczeństwa Przedsiębiorczego•159 vistas
creating the front cover
1. I started by creating a new A4 page in InDesign with 12mm
margins and a bleed of 5mm. I then created the layers that I
will be using to keep each element of the front cover
organised and in the right place. Then I locked all of the
layers I wasn’t using so that everything is kept in the right
place on the right layers.
2. I then started adding in some of the text using the type tool, I added in the Masthead first. I then also
changed the colour to yellow so that it matched the style I planned to use, and I also changed the
font to the one I found while planning. Finally, I positioned it at the top of the page where a magazine
masthead would conventionally go.
3. I continued adding text with the text tool to add in some cover lines. I also changed the font to the
one I chose during planning and changed most of it to white with some yellow to make certain parts
stand out more. To ensure they stand out from the background once it is added in, I placed black
rectangles behind them as graphics that will enhance the text. I did this using the rectangle tool and
the transform tool to move them into place.
4. On the ‘background’ layer, I then used the place and transform tool to add in the image I wanted to
use for the background and to resize it to fit the entire page.
5. I then decided there was too much empty space so I used the type tool and rectangle tool to add
more cover lines. I also used the same graphics layer to place in the barcode image that I had sourced
6. I then added in my main cover line, strapline and issue number. Then moved around my other cover
lines to fill the rest of the page.
7. I then used the ellipse tool and type tool to add a graphic in the top corner to show what release the
magazine is and the price of the magazine. I used a lighter shade of yellow than the ones I used for
the text and made it translucent by lowering the opacity. I also used the same font as the one I used
for the cover lines to keep the house style consistent. Then finally I exported it and saved it as a jpg