WELCOME TO ‘BUILDING NETWORKS ACROSS THE
NCVO COMMUNITY’ WORKSHOP
TOP UP YOUR DRINKS, TAKE A COMFORT BREAK, HAVE A QUICK
WORKSHOP WILL START AT 13.10
Phase 1: Scoping
NCVO strategic goal 3:
CONNECT - Uniting people who want charities to thrive
We're stronger as a sector when we come together. Charities and
volunteers need a support system that can grow and sustain voluntary
action. We'll focus on strong relationships at the core of what we do.
● create connections across our membership and networks to facilitate
learning, collaboration and the development of ideas
A simple question:
How do we enable NCVO members to
connect with each other?
(But a harder challenge to solve)
Quick fire questions:
• How many of you belong to a
• Which networks are these?
• How do you connect?
Where we are now
A centralised membership network where
● NCVO has 1:1 relationships with
● Members cannot easily connect and
organise with each other
● NCVO is “the expert”, sharing
knowledge and resources.
“Membership should be a community of
organisations coming together to achieve
a shared purpose rather than a
relationship only between NCVO and the
– NCVO strategy process
A distributed NCVO network where…
● Horizontal relationship are at the heart
● Our members users can talk to each other
and it’s easy to self-organise
● NCVO communicates and engages with
members in a new way
● Members share knowledge and expertise,
and support each other practically and
● Unleashing their innate energy and capacity
● Better meeting the needs of their
● Strengthening the impact and influence of
A member’s experience in 2030
● I ask my safeguarding group a question
and get 3 helpful replies back
● I’m able to share my experience and
based on a challenge I overcame
● I go to a local meetup for children’s
charities – we’re planning a local
campaign with businesses and
● I join an online roundtable with NCVO
and the Minister for Children, Young
people and families
● I take part in my monthly Action
Think/ feel/ believe
● I feel supported practically and
emotionally (solidarity from peers)
and I can support others
● I’m able to focus on more strategic
activity, as the day-to-day problems
are easier to solve
● I feel a high degree of autonomy. I
know I can make change happen as
part of the collective
● I fixed a problem in my organisation
● I made something better for those
using our service
● I helped someone else with a
● I won a new piece of work
● We achieved a big policy change
through our organising.
Questions and discussion
● What questions/reflections/feedback do you have?
● Which aspects excite you the most?
● What type of networks would you find most useful?
● NCVO led vs. self-organising?
● Volunteer community hosts?
● How will we overcome barriers to engagement?
Phase 2: Getting ready
February - October 2023.
Output: A detailed proposal for funders. Contents will include:
● Funding budget
● 5-year timeline
● Partnership outline, including shared values and approach of NCVO and partners
● Formal governance arrangements
● Insight from members, following research
● Insight from testing some critical assumptions
● How we will build the understanding and capacity of NCVO and other partners,
including details of any roles to be recruited
● A plan for how we will work in the open and share learning as we go
● Mapping of potential risks or harms.
AGM & MEMBER EVENT
PLEASE RETURN TO THE MAIN ROOM
Building member relationships powers our strategy
as central to
how we do it
Platform for members
to connect with each
A member’s experience in 2030
Connect Learn Share
Doing I go to a local meetup for
children’s charities – we’re
planning a local campaign with
businesses and councillors
I ask my safeguarding group a
question and get 3 helpful replies
I take part in my monthly Action
I’m able to share my experience, based on
a challenge I overcame recently
I join an online roundtable with NCVO and
the Minister for Children, Young people
I feel supported practically and
emotionally (solidarity from
peers) and I can support others
I’m able to focus on more
strategic activity, as the day-to-
day problems are easier to solve
I feel a high degree of
autonomy. I know I can make
change happen as part of the
Impact I fixed a problem in my
I made something better for
those using our service
I won a new piece of work
We achieved a big policy
change through our organising.
I helped someone else with a problem
Parece que tiene un bloqueador de anuncios ejecutándose. Poniendo SlideShare en la lista blanca de su bloqueador de anuncios, está apoyando a nuestra comunidad de creadores de contenidos.
¿Odia los anuncios?
Hemos actualizado nuestra política de privacidad.
Hemos actualizado su política de privacidad para cumplir con las cambiantes normativas de privacidad internacionales y para ofrecerle información sobre las limitadas formas en las que utilizamos sus datos.
Puede leer los detalles a continuación. Al aceptar, usted acepta la política de privacidad actualizada.