Application Form - Vice President of Enactus IU/ Head of Communication Department
1. Page | 1
VICE PRESIDENT OF
2014 - 2015
2. Page | 2
1. Basic information
Name Nguyễn Hồng Thủy Tiên
Phone number 01229768210
2. Your Enactus experience
Duration Department Position Main
+ Managing projects
+ Dealing with other
+ Supporting all
members to develop
+ Developing and
executing Enactus IU’s
long – term strategy to
+ Working closely with
+ Evaluating effective
level of workload
+ Bonding team
+ Member of the third
+ Member of the Term
Key learning point
- The importance of
- Setting objective is one
way to keep high
- Review is one of the
- Members are the most
- When we want
somebody to be
mature, treat them as
- Conflict is not always
bad. If we know how to
handle, it will become
Creating ideas and
writing many posts for
Most ideas and posts are
directly used for events
3. Page | 3
and posted on fanpage,
The fanpage was
through comments and
the number of likes.
- Differentiation makes
- The true value of
creativity is not novelty;
it is the observing life.
Creativity comes up
only if we have the
knowledge about that
- Inspiring, orienting,
building trust to
- Decentralized decision
making and centralized
- Empowerment and
- The importance of
culture in newbies
- Do not judge people
- Manage things but lead
commitment is more
important than job
4. Page | 4
3. Your non-Enactus experience
Phú Nhuận High
Monitor Leading and
classmates in all
Gained trust from teachers and
1 of 30 excellent youths at school
My class: always in the top 3 of
academic field, sports and other
Successfully created well-known
image for class by leading them
- The importance of balancing
between the members’
democracy and leader’s power
- The importance of clear
orientation, inspiring, making
trend, allocating right work to
right people at right time.
- Teamwork: Use others’ strengths
to fill in my weaknesses,
choosing organizing core team:
choose the suitable ones not
choose the best ones
- A team needs different functional
7/2014 IU Entrance
+ Writing post for
IU Youth Union
event (English and
+ Contribute to
Highest number of likes of my post:
- The differentiation and
innovation create success.
- Finding similar or relevant
information of many events
makes efficient communication
5. Page | 5
sections in IU
8/2014 IU Recruitment
about the school
I am myself highly appreciated by the
- The positive brand of oneself
greatly affect to the
- Proper behaviors build last-long
relationship and trust.
Youth to debate Communicati
biện khởi nghiệp”
- The importance of debate spirit in
+ Be a good listener: be calm
+ When conflicts come up, try
to attack the problem not
attack the person; try to find
the real argument of the
- Most unsolvable conflicts are
rooted in the differences in value.
- Individual’s differentiation respect
4. Please list your 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses related to applied
1. DESIRE TO LEARN AND EAGER TO GROW/ LEARNING SKILL/CURIOSITY:
Learning is not only in theory but also through life, through experience, even through
others’ activities, events. Moreover, I actively research information by myself through
many channels, people to find the answers for the questions that I concerned.
2. ORGANIZATIONAL MINDSET:
- The ability to plan carefully, handle task, manage, plan work, allocate resources
effectively and efficiently to achieve the goal.
- When I do anything, I usually prepare carefully and predict what sudden outcome would
happen and think of the ways to prevent it
6. Page | 6
3. PRESTIGUOS IS MY PRIORITY:
- Once promising even small things, I always make the best effort to do with HIGH QUALITY
and I show out my enthusiastic attitude clearly. If I don’t follow my promise, I really feel
guilty and disappointed about myself because I had wasted others’ time investing in me.
- Moreover, I recognized that the more I live with my true value, the easier I keep my
- Finally, I practice saying “no” with something that I think that I can’t complete it
I so over - focus on others’ behaviors, attitudes, and verbal languages that I am easily hurt
by any of those which are different from my norms, values.
Way to improve:
+ Respect the differentiation of each individual
+ Find the root causes of those behaviors, attitudes and verbal languages
+ Find their values on that specific situation
+ Express clearly my opinion, value to that person
I found the root cause for this weakness. It is because I always appreciate the result more
than the process, which leads to much pressure that I put on my teammates.
Way to improve:
Every experience gives me the valuable lesson. I always remind myself to do the
review which includes the result, root cause and key learning point for my entire
3. FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE TO WORK FOR SOMETHING WITHOUT CAREFUL PLAN:
I am really annoyed with something disturbing my personal plan or my team’s plan since
it usually bring bad effect on both team and individual performance
Way to improve:
+ Spend time planning and convincing others to have agreement on the plan that
should be based on knowledge, experience including contingency plan for sudden
7. Page | 7
+ When directly facing to that problem: Just focus on that problem, find the root
cause, trust and delegate to suitable person in team.
+ Experience more, learn more: Like anyone else, we easily solve the problem when
we faced in the past.
1. Explain briefly your motivation to apply the position
Firstly, I enjoy working in the team and being in the role of inspiring, influencing, recognizing and
developing others to achieve theshared goals. Irecognize that in anyteam Iworked with, the majority
of my role is inspiring, orienting and ensuring that if my teams go on the right direction.
Secondly, from the past until now, I love building and maintaining good image of the ORGANIZATION
that I love in every body’s mindset. I have enough patience and enthusiasm to clarify the mission,
vision of Enactus to not only Enactus members but also people around and I am so proud to share
stories of Enactus’ achievements even that is other departments’ contributions. When ones show their
respect to our meaningful mission, I am really touched and excited. I think that is what
Communication Department actually do and this is also my true value.
Finally, I love managing information flow. In my opinion, those who get more information will have
more advantages than others.
II. LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
8. Page | 8
2. As a leader, what would you do to remain your commitment with
Enactus, especially when you are usually under pressure?
In my opinion, when joining in any organization, I consider what they give me and what I can
contribute to the organization. I always think of the moment when I wrote down the
application form, making the great effort to be the official member of Enactus IU. Enactus IU
has really given me a lot of miraculous lessons, values that hardly any clubs gives me: vision,
mission, democracy, leadership, individual differentiation, empowerment, self -awareness...
Therefore, devoting myself and contribute to Enactus is the essential things to express my
thankful and respect.
When I am under much pressure, I remind myself of the reason why I started that I highly
appreciate what Enactus brings to me and community.
In addition, the development, expectation, trust of my members are other things that give me
much motivations to go on the trip. They are my companions, my teammates, my brothers/
sisters and I am thankful that they are here with me.
3. What are difficulties that you would face up to if you become VP of
Communication Department now?
TIME is the biggest difficulties that I would face up to if I become VP COM. This term only lasts
approximately 4 months but high-quality task accomplishment and high-development members
are required. This make me to have deep focus on the work attached with good time management
and careful control.
9. Page | 9
4. What initiatives do you want to apply during your term based on
your position choices?
1. FOCUS ON COMMUNICATION WORK (BRAND-ORIENTED) BUT STILL MAINTAIN
Communication and Marketing have many DIFFERENCES:
- Communication job is to build good relations for the organizations with various publics by
building up a good organization’s image, handling unfavorable bad things affecting
organization’s brand. It significantly impact on the public awareness about Enactus
- Marketing job is managing profitable customer relationships; create value for customer
and build strong customer relationships in order to capture value form customers in return.
It is essential to support our business such as F activities or ER events.
Communication and Marketing are both important. However, Enactus is a non-profit
organization, our meaningful vision, mission are not well- known and the public wrongly
understand our work. Moreover, Enactus’ valuable mission is the thing which helps us
differentiate with other clubs. Therefore, Communication is the proper tool to make our
business activities and events more special and valuable.
2. APPLY TECHNOLOGY IN WORKING PROCESS:
- Trello software: an effective tool for project management, which is suitable for the feature
of COM: working on process (Account -> Creative - > Digital)
- Drive: (Everything done on drive)
+ Improve the process from Account -> Creative –> Digital more efficiently than sending
email: Plan -> Fix-> Implement -> Adjust when sudden outcome -> Fix
+ Improve the process from Creative to Digital more efficiently than sending email: Write ->
Fix -> Post
3. ARRANGE AND UTILIZE RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
- Arrange materials in dropbox/ drive/ email
- Making event calendar (drive) which updates from other departments
- Conduct survey for fanpage to innovate the fanpage
- Collect, arrange and sort old customer data from previous events
- Collect resources for media sponsor
- Making template: media sponsor, remind email, thank-you + feedback email
4. TEAM MANAGEMENT: Highly concerned both for members and productivity:
- Set clear objectives for each task
- Fair evaluation
10. Page | 10
- Warmly support and give sufficient information
- Maintain good relationship, respect feelings, sensitive to members’ needs
5. How would you do to keep the information flow in your
1. WEEKLY MEETING: Internally and externally update:
+ Each sub-team working process: Strengthen/ Adjust
+ Members’ difficulties and concern
+ Upcoming task
+ Discussion for new task
+ Assign Account to handle the communication between Com and other
2. E-MAIL: Update information after each EB meeting or any sudden situations.
3. TRELLO AND DRIVE: Easy for leaders monitor the working process and members update
the task flow
6. How will you inspire and develop your members?
1. DECENTRALIZED DECISION MAKING AND CENTRALIZED CONTROL:
The leaders often make 2 mistakes:
- They delegate too much for subordinates without any methods of control to in-time solve
- They control too much without empowerment, which makes members react like robots,
do just as direct, and do not have the overview of the whole picture.
+ Orient department’s objectives for this term
+ Sub-lead election
+ Brainstorm team’s objectives with sub-lead -> Together make the action plan
11. Page | 11
+ Identify role identity, expectations of each sub-team leader, members
+ Support and give sufficient information
+ Give them free to express the democracy
+ Use the methods of keeping information flow to monitor/ control
+ Review together
2. TELL STORY:
Enactus old stories are the effective tool to inspire and make members feel like they
have involved intheshared mission,vision andthey are the ones whocontinue writing
new pages for Enactus story.
3. SOLVE MEMBERS’ PROBLEMS:
- Low self-confidence: Focus on individual’s abilities and offer needed assistance.
- Poor performance incentives: Focus on clarifyingneeds and identifyingsuitablerewards.
- Insufficient challenge: Set goals and raise performance aspirations.
7. How would you do when there is conflict within EB internally and
between members in your department?
Conflict is not always bad. If we know how to handle it, it will transfer into creative conflict
even win/lose or win/ win situations. Here are my rules when conflict happens:
- Be a good listener
- Encourage both parties to have positive attitude to solve the conflict
- Make clear mutual objectives and use them to test whether each argument is relevant
- Attack the problem, not attack the person: Find what is the root cause behind the words
they say, find the real argument
- Do not talk about another problem interrupting the previous problem
- In reality, I enjoy facing to the “real conflict”, which creates the creative solution and
12. Page | 12
Name your form and subject following the format: “Your full name –
VP Com” and send to emails of EB before 23:59 Friday-02/01/2015.
If you have any question, please feel free to contact Ms. Hanh Tran
Thank you for taking your time to fill in the Application Form!
WE WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!!!