2. Social Media Networking
◦ A social media networking service (also social networking site, SNS)types of
◦ Social media are computer- mediated tools that allow people, companies and
other organizations to create, share, or exchange information, career
interests, ideas, and pictures/video and virtual communities and networks
◦ Communities of people share different things by social networking.
◦ Basically, social media networking connects people at low cost.
◦ Most social networking sites provide the facility of messaging, chating, e-mails,
videos, voice-chats, file sharing, blogging, discussion groups and so on...
4. Common Social Networking Sites
Some social networking sites which have many privacy issues but are very common:
5. :Usage of Social Sites:
Social sites are used in big percentage.
Every minute of the day:
◦ 100,000 tweets are sent.
◦ 684,478 pieces of content are shared on Facebook
◦ 2 million search queries are made on Google
◦ 48 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube
◦ 47,000 apps are downloaded from the App Store
◦ 3,600 photos are shared on Instagram
◦ 571 websites are created
◦ $272,000 is spent by consumers online.
6. :Privacy Issues:
1. Privacy issues are very common and very dangerous for the users of these sites.
2. Issues like spamming, hacking, scamming, phishing are effecting people very
3. After the November 2013, security breach where hackers stole usernames and
passwords for nearly 2 million accounts at Facebook, Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn,
Twitter and 93,000 other websites.
7. :Highest Privacy Issues:
Social sites like Facebook and twitter have the highest privacy issues.
◦ Facebook has over a billion active users
◦ Teenagers of almost (18 to 35 age) are Facebook addicted.
◦ Fake Profile and ID's with fake names (like Angel Pari, Innoxent Ali, Cute girl, Decent
boy, etc...) is one of biggest problems on Facebook.
◦ Strange people try to get into our profiles.
◦ Accounts can be easily hacked by using different hacking websites.
◦ According to the news from PC World Business Center which was published on April
22, 2010, we can know that a hacker named Kirllos illegally stole and sold 1.5
million Facebook IDs to some business companies who want to attract potential
customers by using advertisements on Facebook.
1. Twitter has mostly dodged privacy concerns.Facebook gets all the bad press, but the
bigger threat to your online privacy these days might be your Twitter account.
2. Twitter allows people to share information with their followers. Any messages that
are not switched from the default privacy setting are public, and thus can be viewed
by anyone with a Twitter account.
3. Users can make their timelines private, but once a tweet is re-tweeted by another
user, it irreversibly becomes public.
4. Another issue involving privacy on Twitter deals with users unknowingly disclosing
their information through tweets. Twitter has location services attached to tweets,
which some users don’t even know are enabled. Many users tweet about being at
home and attach their location to their tweet, revealing their personal home
1. Spokeo is a "people-related" search engine with results compiled
through data aggregation.
◦ In September, 2010, Jennifer Purcell claimed that the FCRA was violated by
Spokeo marketing her personal information. Her case is pending in court.
◦ Also in 2010, Thomas Robins claimed that his personal information on the
website was inaccurate and he was unable to edit it for accuracy. The case
was dismissed because Robins did not claim that the site directly caused him
actual harm.On February 15, 2011, Robins filed another suit, this time
stating Spokeo has caused him "imminent and ongoing" harm.
11. :General Tips for avoiding Privacy Issues:
1. Become familiar with the privacy settings of any social website you use.
2. Don’t publicize your vacation plans.
3. Don’t share your age, place of birth, or birthday.
4. Don’t post your address, phone number or e-mail address on a social network.
5. Beware of strangers requests.
6. Always Logout your account on any social network.
7. Use cautions when using third-party applications.
8. Take additional precautions if you are the victim of stalking, harassment or domestic