2. a brief overview of
Artiﬁcial intelligence is growing up fast, as are robots whose facial
expressions can elicit empathy and make your mirror neurons quiver.“
3. What is an Artiﬁcial Intelligence (AI)?
According to the father of artiﬁcial intelligence, it is a science and
engineering of making intelligent machine and computer
It deals with creation of real
intelligence artiﬁcially. Strong AI
believes that machine can be
made sentient or self aware.
Weak AI does not believe that
creating human level intelligence
in machine is possible but AI
techniques can be developed to
solve many real life problems.
4. AI is the best ﬁeld for dreamers to play around. It must be evolved
from the thought that making a human machine is possible.
Though many conclude that this is not possible, there is still a lot of
research going on in this ﬁeld to attain the ﬁnal objective.
There are inherent advantage of using computers as they do not
get tired or loosing temper and are becoming faster and faster.
Only time will say what will be the future of AI.
So, will it attain human level or above human level intelligence
or not? probably, only time will tell…
What is an Artiﬁcial Intelligence (AI)?
6. History of Artiﬁcial Intelligence.
‣ The seed of modern AI was planted by classical philosophers
who wanted to describe human thinking as a mechanical
‣ The AI research founded at Dartmouth college in summer 1956
and “John McCarthy is regarded as father of AI”.
‣ The project faced difﬁculty in 1973 in response to criticism of
James Lighthill and on going pressure from government and
stopped funding on directed research into AI.
‣ Investment and interest in AI boomed in ﬁrst decade of 21st
7. The birth of Artiﬁcial Intelligence.
In 1940s to 50s a handful of scientist, variety of ﬁeld began to
discuss the possibility of creating an artiﬁcial brain.
‣ Study of cybernetics and neural network help in constructing an
‣ Alan turing provide a turing test in which it make sure that
machine is thinking.
‣ In 1955 A. Newell and H.A. Simon created the logic theorist and
solved the venerable mind/body problem explaining how matter
can have the properties of mind.
8. Timeline of Artiﬁcial Intelligence.
In the 70s, AI was subject to critiques and ﬁnancial setbacks due
to tremendous optimism raised exceptionally impossible high and
promised results failed to materialise, funding for AI disappeared.
It completely shut down for 10 years by Marvin Minsky. In late
70s new ideas were explored in logic programming, common
AI can perform
and the future is yet to come!
10. People of the future may look back on our society and
marvel at our way of life…
mainly on their
memory for all the
salient facts to a
Cars that can't
Your house not
opening & closing
door by itself on
seeing you or
Cars not driving
you to hospital by
itself if you faint
Fans & lamps not
turn themselves off
when we leave the
Our bed not able to
push us out by
itself when alarm
11. What are the characteristics of AI?
Actual, not Fake
Emerging Computer Technology
Applied Science Branch (CS)
12. What about the applications of AI?
Automatic target recognition
Biologically inspired computing
Facial recognition systems
Decision support system
Optical character recognition
Intelligent word recognition
Natural language processing
and much, much more…
13. Real life AI Projects/Examples.
Autonomous cars project
An autonomous car (driverless car, self-driving car) is a vehicle that is
capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input.
Major companies involved in the R&D of this technology are Google, Tesla
and Ford as of now.
Blue Brain Project
The Blue Brain Project is an attempt to create a synthetic brain by reverse-
engineering mammalian brain circuitry.
The aim of the project, founded in May 2005 by the Brain and Mind Institute
of the EPFL, Switzerland, is to study the brain's architectural and functional
14. Practical Examples of AI Applications.
It is a deep learning project, part of Google X attempting to mimic human-
The project's technology is currently used in the Android Operating
System's speech recognition system, photo search for Google+ and video
recommendations in YouTube.
Google Now is an intelligent personal assistant developed by Google.
Google Now, including Now cards, voice search and commands, is
available in the Google app for Android and iOS.
It uses a natural language user interface to answer questions, make
recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests.
15. Practical Examples of AI Applications.
It is a computer program that works as an intelligent personal assistant and
knowledge navigator, part of Apple’s iOS, watchOS, macOS and tvOS
operating systems. The feature uses a natural language user interface to
answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by
It is an intelligent personal assistant created by Microsoft for Windows 10,
Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft Band, Xbox One, iOS
and Android. It can set reminders, recognise natural voice without the
requirement for keyboard input, and answer questions using information
from the Bing search.
16. Practical Examples of AI Applications.
Holmes is a cognitive computing system developed by the Indian
technology corporation Wipro and announced in 2016.
Its uses include development of digital virtual agents, predictive systems,
cognitive process automation, visual computing applications, knowledge
virtualisation, robotics and drones.
It is a computational knowledge engine or answer engine developed by
Wolfram Research. It is an online service that answers factual queries
directly by computing the answer from externally sourced "curated data",
rather than providing a list of documents or web pages that might contain
the answer as a search engine might.
and many more…
17. interaction & reasoning of
The key to artiﬁcial intelligence has always been the representation.
18. How does the AI interacts?
- Pairing new technologies with human assistants.
- Recent ﬁlm Ex Machina, where a reclusive billionaire invents a
- Today, making machines & humans indistinguishable from each
other is no longer science ﬁction-its good business.
- Messaging is the medium.
19. How does the AI performs reasoning?
- When there’s one goal & too many options.
- When data collection is easy but analysis is hard.
- When it feels like a friend.
- Who needs HUMANS?
- AUTOMATED REASONING is an area of computer science &
mathematical logic dedicated to understanding different aspects
20. philosophy and ethics of
By far, the greatest danger of Artiﬁcial Intelligence is that people
conclude too early that they understand it.“
21. Ethics & Philosophy of AI systems.
The ethics of artiﬁcial intelligence is the part of the ethics of
technology speciﬁc to robots and other artiﬁcially intelligent beings.
It is typically divided into two major parts.
It is a concern with the moral
behaviour of humans as they
design, construct, use and treat
artiﬁcially intelligent beings.
It is a concern with the moral
behaviour of artiﬁcial moral
22. facts & ﬁction related to
A year spent in artiﬁcial intelligence is enough to make one believe in
23. Some facts about Artiﬁcial Intelligence.
‣ Natural language processing method.
‣ Autonomous vehicles.
‣ Developing robots.
‣ Making human life easier.
‣ Speech recognition.
‣ Hospitals and medicine.
‣ Online telephone customer service.
24. Uses of Artiﬁcial Intelligence in ﬁction.
‣ In the early half of 21st century there were many ﬁctional
intelligences related to AI.
‣ AI has ﬁrmly rooted in popular culture and in many ﬁlms.
‣ Implication of AI is the persistent theme in science ﬁction .
‣ Science ﬁction sometimes emphasises the dangers of artiﬁcial
intelligence and sometimes it’s positive potential.
‣ Artiﬁcial intelligence is the theme of many ﬁlms and books like
The Terminator, A Space Odyssey, Metropolis, Interstellar, The
Matrix, Robocop etc.
25. For NIET, Greater Noida, by Group - 2 (CSE4, 2016)
Thank Youfor being all ears, dear audience :)