1. Language as a medium of
• Communication is the most integral part of human
nature . Human beings have a compulsive urge to
communicate with each other as more then 70%
of their time's is spent in communicating with
others. Of all the creatures, man has the ability
and power to express in word's or language.
3. What is language?
• Language is an abstract system of symbols which
carry prescribed meanings. The symbols may be
sounds or letters on the basis of the mode of
communication i.e. spoken or written.
• Edward sapir―“Language is not only a vehicle for
the expression of thoughts, perceptions,
sentiments, and values characteristic of a
community; it also represents a fundamental
expression of social identity."
4. Characteristics of Language
• Language is verbal, vocal: Language is sound
• Language is a means of communication
• Language is a social phenomenon
• Language is arbitrary
• Language is non-instinctive, conventional
• Language is symbolic
• Language is systematic
• Language is unique, creative, complex and modifiable
• Language is human and structurally complexIt is
5. Importance of Language
• Language is a tool to learn knowledge.
• Language is a tool to transmit information.
• Language is a tool to express feeling, emotion and
• Language is a tool to cultural ties
• Language is a tool to construct social identity
6. What is Communication?
• The origin of the word “communication” is
“communicare” or “communis” which means “to
impart”, “to participate”, “to share”.
• According to Oxford dictionary― "
Communication is transforming or conveying of
7. Characteristics of Communication
• Accurate Massage
• Effective Listening
• Face to face
• Asking for Clarification
• Body Language
9. Essential Elements of Language in
• Channel (Medium)
10. Importance of Language in
• Language is a essential tool for any communication.
• Information exchange.
• Feeling, emotions and ideas transmit other's person.
• To learn any subject matter.
• Culture transmit one generation to anther genaration.
• Build a society.
• International relations i.e.
12. Is Communication possible
• Communication Is possible even without using any
language just as it Is seen In the case of othet
animal.whlch do communicate by using gestures
and body movements.
13. Facilitators of Language in
• More simple and flexible.
• Tention free mutual interaction.
• Easy to understand.
• Language makes communication more
14. Barriers of Language in
• Difference in language.
• Technical jargon.
• Syntactic errors and mispell.
• Misunderstanding between sender and recover.
Overall we conclude that―
• Without language communication is not possible.
• Communication and language two sides of a coin.
• Language is considered both verbal as well as
non verbal communication.
• Language can be in written, in oral , in signs or