LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
This presentation explores technology trends and how those impact both consumer behavior and insurance operations. Focus is paid to mobile device adoption, the API economy, the Internet of Things, and Frictionless User Experience.
• Mobile Web – Applications delivered over the internet that
are viewed through a mobile web browser.
• Mobile Apps – Applications downloaded to a mobile
device that install and run natively on the device
(Pro) Distribution – Universal Through Browser
(Pro) Cost – 25% to 50% of Native App Cost
(Con) Features – Limited Access to Device
(Con) Internet – Online Required
(Con) Exposure – Competing for 20% of Users Time
(Con) Distribution – App Store
(Con) Cost – 200% to 400% of Mobile Web Cost
(Pro) Features – Full Access to Device
(Pro) Internet – Offline Usage with Background Sync
(Pro) Exposure – Competing for 80% of Users Time
Which is for you?
• Mobile App – If you want to deliver a rich user experience
and can afford it.
• Mobile Web – If you want to offer mobile access on a
• The best companies offer BOTH.
When a user is on the go
and wants to know or accomplish
something in the moment
there is an opportunity to build trust, and loyalty.
Example Mobile Moments
Whose Moment? What’s their Motivation? Example
Insured Learn about a product What does it cost to add an ATV
to my insurance policy?
Insured Receive service assistance A tree fell on my house. I need to
file a claim with my insurance
Agent Check on Policy Status Is that policy issued or do I need
to give the insured feedback?
Agent Review Income What was my commission
payment last month?
Staff - Underwriter Efficiency What policies do I need to review
Staff - Claims Adjuster Serve Customer Better Submit authority override request
in the field.
• Build mobile interactions targeted at device capabilities.
• Keep apps simple and focused on user needs.
• Target functionality to create mobile moments for insureds,
agents, and employees.
Frictionless User Experience
“How it Looks”
7 Principles of Usability
• Simple – Don’t make me think!
• Minimal – What you need, only what you need
• Clean – Margins, white space, typography
• Focused – Primary actions should be big and easy to find
• Familiar – Use and recycle familiar patterns
• Responsive – Offer feedback for every action
• Public APIs - 5,000 in mid 2013 to 10,000 in 2015.
• Netflix API receives over 5 billion requests per day
• Over 1,000,000 sites and apps use the Google Maps API.
• Since 2002, Amazon Web Services. $6.2 billion in revenue
and 5x the capacity of next 14 competitors combined.
• 2013 - 1.5 billion API calls. Up from 500 million in 2012.
350 million endpoints globally.
• APIs are emerging and maturing at an incredible pace.
• There are tremendous business opportunities for
businesses that connect services via API to deliver a
seamless User Experience.
APIs you can leverage today
• Location Services
• Property Valuation
• Payment Gateways
• Credit Scoring
• Tax Records
• Protection Class
• VIN and DMV lookups
• Mortgagee Notification
• File Storage
• Screen Share and Video
• Help Desk
• Social Media
• Hundreds More……
• Offer a great User Experience that addresses customer
• Build beautiful, clear User Interfaces.
• Offer an API that allows other services to connect to you.
• Connect APIs to add value to your services.
• Automate and bridge everything you can to offer a
smooth, intuitive experience for insureds, agents, and
Internet of Things
• Cloud of devices connected to the internet
• Sensors everywhere on everything
• Connected devices can access information
• Connected devices can publish information
• Convert information into action
Internet of Things
• 2 Billion Embedded Systems – 2012
• 4.9 Billion Embedded Systems – 2015
• 25 Billion Embedded Systems – 2020
Using APIs to Connect Devices
• IF moisture is detected THEN shutoff water main
• IF motion is detected THEN send message and alarm
• IF Carbon Monoxide detected THEN turn off fireplace
• IF I leave the house THEN lock the doors
• IF temperature drops THEN send message and shutoff
• Rating Discounts / Surcharges
• Segment Risks Better
• Exclusions Based on Conditions
• Loss Prevention via Sensors
• Correlations in Data
• Develop Entirely New Products and Services
Usage Based Pricing & Membership Culture
• The Traditional American Dream isn’t the Millennial Dream.
• Ownership, retirement, stability are not valued like they
were by previous generation.
• Community, experiences, sharing, and sustainability are
much more important.
• Value experiences over things.
• Frequently prefer membership over ownership.
• 32% of travelers have stayed in a vacation rental in 2012
• 59% of travelers plan to stay at a vacation rental in 2016
• Online travel climbed from $99 billion in 2010 to $144.7
billion in 2015 fueled by vacation rental growth
• Global SaaS revenue projected to be $106b in 2016
• By 2018, 59% of the total computer workloads will be SaaS
workloads, up from 41% in 2013
• SaaS is replacing most traditional software models
• 93 percent of organizations are running applications that
reside within an infrastructure-as-a-service network.
• 82 percent of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy, up
from 74 percent in 2014.
• 88 percent of organizations are using public cloud while 63
percent use private cloud.
• 22 percent of organizations run more than 1000 VMs in
• $15B spent on Cloud infrastructure
• 1,000 new Azure customers per day
• 400B authentications on Azure AD
• 10 Trillion objects stored on Azure
• 1 Million servers in Data Centers
• 50% of Fortune 500 Companies use Azure
Amazon Web Services
• AWS adds enough new server capacity daily to support all
of Amazon’s global infrastructure n 2004. ($7b revenue)
• AWS offers 5x the compute capacity of the other 14 cloud
• AWS revenue is now $6b a year. More than the next 4
• AWS 5 million servers spread across 87 data centers.
Auto Insurance Telematics
• Telematics study at ISO reveals the riskiest 20% of
operators’ claim costs were 10x higher least risky 20%.
• 36% of auto insurance carriers expected to utilize
telematics by 2020.
• Point of Sale at the Moment of Decision (Mobile Moment!)
• Charge Per Mile, Day, Rental Hour, etc.
• Use Connected Devices to Measure and Track
• Adversely Select Against Competitors Using Generic Data
• Offer Entirely New Products
1. Engage mobile
2. Offer well-designed user experiences that connect
services via API
3. Build infrastructure to consume and model the data
streaming in from embedded devices
4. Connect all the pieces to offer true experience-based
products and services.