Detecting Malicious Social Bots
Based on Click stream Sequences
RAMPELLY ROSHINI (19S41A0576)
MOHAMMED SUFIYAN (19S41A0559)
THATIKONDA SUMANVITHA (19S41A0592)
REVELLI UDAYKIRAN (19S41A0578)
• Social bots have been used to perform automated analytical services and
provide users with improved quality of service. However, malicious social
bots have also been used to disseminate false information (e.g., fake news),
and this can result in real-world consequences. These features are easily
imitated by social bots; thereby resulting in low accuracy of the analysis.
• A novel method of detecting malicious social bots, including both features
selection based on the transition probability of clickstream sequences and
semi-supervised clustering, is presented in this paper
• Malicious users in social network platforms are likely to exhibit
behavior patterns that different from normal users, because their
goals in maximizing their own needs and purposes (e.g., promote a
certain product or certain political beliefs or ideology).
• User behavior analysis is not only helpful in gaining an in-depth
understanding of user intent, but it is also important to the
detection of malicious social bots' accounts in online social
• A total of 450 thousand items of data were collected from July 1 to
September 30, 2022.These data were clickstream data of normal users
and social bots on CyVOD.
• It includes user information viewing, video broadcasting, comment
related behaviors, friend related behaviors, comment releasing in circles,
and other related behaviors.
• Coding Language : JAVA
Application Server : Tomcat 5.0
Operating System : Windows XP
Front End : HTML, Java, Jsp
Server side Script : Java Server Pages.
Database : Mysql 5.0
Database Connectivity : JDBC.
• System : Pentium IV 2.4 GHz.
• Hard Disk : 1 TB.
• Ram : 2 GB.
1. OSN Server:
• In this module, the OSN Server has to login by using valid user name and
• After login successful he can do some operations such as view all user
details and authorize them, list of all friends requests and response ,View
all posts like images and messages user, view all Similar group users like
doctors, Engineers, Business Man, etc.,.
• OSN Server can add some BOTS words to the database and view the all
words added by him and based on that negative words admin can find all
users behavior and also produce chart for that behavior words.
• Types of modules:
• In this module, there are n numbers of users are present.
• User should register with group option before doing some operations.
After registration successful he has to wait for admin to authorize him
and after admin authorized user can login by using authorized user
name and password.
• Login successful he will do some operations like view profile details,
Search friends based on keyword or friends name, view the friend
requests, post message with image to all friends. Find posts of friends
and comment on that posts.
Fig 1: OSN Login
• The OSN main page is an admin page. Admin has to login through credentials.
Admin can anticioate the users activites like users posts, users comments and detects
malicious bots which was posted by users.
Fig 2: Registration page
• In Registration page we have to enter the details to register as a user. After
Giving the details user has to click register tab. Now the admin has to authorize
the new user. After authorization now user is successfully registered.
Fig 3: Users List
• The above page can shows number of users list which was authorised by admin. The
user has been specialised in their group. This page is administered by admin and can
also observes users activity.
Fig 4: Search Friends
• This page allows users to search their friends by entering name. If user has account in it
then the page will shows the users profile. If not the page will shows a message like user
is not found.
Fig 5: Friends page
• The searched user profile has been displayed after entering the name. Now the user
can send the request to his friend. After this user can see the posts of his friend and
can also comment on his posts.
Fig 6: Post details
• The above picture describes about the user’s shared post which includes post title, post
description, post speciality message, posted date .Here we can also add pictures to the
Fig 7: Users bots behaviour
• Users bots behaviour includes details of the specified users detected by admin. The page
will have user name, comments, bad type, used bot words, total bot words found.
Fig 8: List of bot words
• Here we can find the list of bot words which was previously listed by the admin.
Here we can find the types of bot words used by users.
Fig 9: Analyzing the data of malicious bots through bar graph
• The frequency of bot type words posted or used can be Analysed through the
• Transition probability of user behavior clickstreams increases by an average of
12.8%, in comparison to the detection method based on quantitative analysis of user
• In online social networks, social bots are social accounts controlled by automated
programs that can perform corresponding operations based on a set of procedures.
• We proposed a novel method to accurately detect malicious social bots in
online social networks. Experiments showed that transition probability
between user click streams based on the social situation analytics can be
used to detect malicious social bots in online social platforms accurately.
In future research, additional behaviors of malicious social bots will be
further considered and the proposed detection approach will be extended
and optimized to identify specific intentions and purposes of a broader
range of malicious social bots.
1.F. Morstatter, L. Wu, T. H. Nazer, K. M. Carley, and H. Liu,
``A new approach to bot detection: Striking the balance between
precision and recall,'' in Proc. IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. Adv. Social
Netw Mining,San Francisco, CA, USA, Aug. 2016, pp. 533_540.
2.C. A. De Lima Salge and N. Berente, ``Is that social bot
behaving unethically?''Commun. ACM, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 29_31,