Se ha denunciado esta presentación.
The New Family Structure
American women continued to have
primary responsibility for caring for the
home, and most still depended on men for
Woman sought greater equality
More women attended college
The flapper- independent, free lifestyle
What lead to Urbanization
Farming was on a downward slope during WWI
Conflicts over values
Rural America Urban
• Hard work
• Self reliance
The 18th amendment
Marcus Garvey and W.E.B.
The Rise of Marcus
• Formed the Universal
• Back to Africa to create to a
• Economic success with the
Black Star line
Conflict with Du
• Garvey didn’t agree with
the Views of the NAACP
• The NAACP suspicions
with the UNIA
• FBI charged UNIA with
mail fraud and Marcus
Garvey goes to prison
• Little African American literature was
published before that era.
• Writers like Zora Neale Hurston and James
Weldon Johnson wrote of facing white
• Poets like Claude McKay and Langston Hughes
wrote of black defiance and hope.
• These poets recorded the distinctive culture of
Harlem in the 1920s.
• Black artists won fame during this era, often
focusing on the experiences of African
• William H. Johnson, Aaron Douglas and Jacob
Lawrence were well known.
Effects of the Media
The rise of the radio
Popular culture is born