Recommendation and Suggestion for Global Stakeholder Engagement Team.pdf
Recommendation and Suggestion for Global Stakeholder Engagement
1. There is no engagement opportunity for ALSes, a lot of the times they do not receive any
information. I am an ALSes representative I do not receive any information in context of
ICANN activities or so, either I have to subscribe to the newsletter or there is very few
that comes through the official email address from the leadership team or staff
“Communication that is created for the community needs to reach to the members
without any restriction or endorsement”
2. The bigger challenge is ALSes are structured in hierarchy way. We do not have access to
their members from community or staff perspective so we have to inform them
(communication) and than the information flows below. A lot of the ALSes are only
active when there is free travel so we have to understand the dynamics that opportunity
motivates. We need to work on this creating better opportunity
3. Putting them in spot, if we start putting the ALSes representative in the spot, highlighting
their work and challenges they will bring their people and start to open up. Recognition
helps to create better engagement as who would not share his or her achievement in
4. My personal experience in the icann75 Malaysia is we failed to address the ALSes. We
could have done an online remote meeting of ALSes but we just had a presentation
which a lot of the people didn't even filled. We have been missing out on these
opportunities to engage ALSes.
5. To understand ALSes, we have to ask them their challenge and problems. Community
leaders who are active cannot be leading or louding the issue. This is major challenges
and problem that few people are over powering conversation and controlling it....
6. Local resources availability might help them do see some engagement.
7. Rayznews is an ALSes but we proved to be short of resources. We had more than 50
participants in application who registered from Asia and Africa. We had to limit the
session for half an hour due to lack of pro zoom account
8. The problem is not the challenge but a standard issues of what we are doing not
listening and communicating to the ALSes. Yesterday's APRALO meeting we had only 24
participants out of which there were 2-3 staff, this is the reality.
9. Our community is shrinking not because we are not trying or doing any effort but we are
overlooking the real problem and challenges
10. Simplifying engagement, I have met and talked with ICANN fellows who have no idea
about what ICANN is doing, they have attended the program but they fails to
acknowledge the whole ICANN ecosystem. The whole ICANN community is technically
linked so much that it has created a complex situation where people have no idea. Yes I
agree to the point that we have resources with ICANN learn but a lot of the times it gets
shadowed in view of communication.
11. I will share with you one event, my interview as a Social media working group vice chair
of Atlarge was published in ICANN newsletter and I got to know about it after a year.
Even for a person like me who is engaged has a problem identifying the resources than
just imagine of the newcomer.
12. During the ICANN 75 Malaysia there was no strategic planning done with the
community. When an event is happening in the region why we do not involve ALSes is a
big question for all?