What is ICT ?
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is
a broader term for Information Technology (IT), which
refers to all communication technologies, including the
internet, wireless networks, cell phones,
computers, software, video-conferencing, social
networking, and other media applications and services
enabling users to access, retrieve, store, transmit, and
manipulate information in a digital form.
It is an umbrella that includes any communication device or
or application like radio, television, cellular phones,
computer and network, hardware & software, satellite
systems as well as various services & applications associated
associated with them, such as video conferencing and
Health information Technology (HIT)
Health information technology(HIT) is the application of information
processing involving both computer hardware & software that deals with the
storage, retrieval, sharing & use of health care information, data &
knowledge for communication & decision making.
M- health or mobile health is a term used for the practice of medicine & public
health supported by mobile devices. It is a mobile computing, medical sensor,
and communications technologies for healthcare. It is a set of apps. The
applications include the use of cell phones and other communication devices to
gather health data, delivery of healthcare information to doctors, researchers, and
A video conference is a live, visual connection
between two or more people live in separate locations
for the purpose of communication. It provides
transmission of full-motion video images and high-
quality audio between multiple locations.
Advantages of Telemedicine:-
1. Easy access to remote areas
2. Critical care monitoring, where it is not possible to transfer the patient
3. Economic for hospital & patient
4. Reduce the stress in patient and relatives
5. Save travel time of specialist and patient, Provides faster access to healthcare
6. Good for education and research purpose
7. Continuing medical education.
Disadvantage of Telemedicine:-
1. Technology is only as reliable as the electrical current that keeps it running. Weather
can cause a power outage or disrupt an internet connection completing online
consultation with a doctor.
2. Medical professionals resistance: Bulk of doctors struggling to comfortably use the
Benefits of Using ICT in the Health Care Field
1. Increasing quality in the patient assistance: - ICT can help improve patient safety through
the direct access to the medical case story, checking the treatments online, keeping track
of the patients’ progress.
2. Cutting down the medical spending: -It reduces the costs by reducing the time required to
process data and manage paperwork. The system for image transmission and storage is essential to
promote the development of the electronic medical case story and telemedicine since it
speeds up the tests and the gathering of results.
3. Reducing administrative cost.
4. Possibility to carry-on brand-new health models.
Community radio is a type of radio service that serves to the interests of a certain area,
broadcasting content that is popular to a local audience but which may often be overlooked
by commercial or mass-media broadcasters.
Roll of Community Radio
Community radio has been playing a
significant role in raising the voice, thought, problems
and issues of those people who do not have access to
mainstream community and media. It facilitates the
right to information, promoting the right to
communication, assisting the flow of information