• A globe is a small-scale three
dimensional MODEL OF THE EARTH.
• It is mounted on an axis so that it
can e rotated freely just like an
• The line of latitude and longitude
are drawn on map.
ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE OF GLOBE
flattened at the poles and
bulging at the equator.
• Bulky and can not be stored easily
• Shows exact shape of the
earth- spherical slightly
• The shape f continents and
oceans are shown accurately.
• The different physical features
are also marked more ore less
• It can not show the details of
landforms and location of small
• It can not provide detail information
about climate, vegetation agriculture
• Although larger globes show some
details they are difficult to carry and
• Amap is a essential tool of a
• It is a representation of a earth as
whole or part of the earth drawn on a
• It can show continents courtiers cities
and even a local area with all details
• Amap how ever has a disadvantages.
• Aflat map can not accurately show the
curved surface of the earth.
• When a map is drawn the shape and size
• The maximum distortion occurs in the
region of poles and less at equatorial
• Its not a new phenomenon and has been
practiced since the ancient times.
• They were made from animal skin
parchment papyrus and clay tablets
• The science of map making is called as
CARTOGRAPHY (Carte- in French
means “MAP” graphic- DRAWING).
• A person who draws map is called as
• Cartographer show the curved surface
of the earth on a flat map is known as
Shows the boundaries
of administrative units
such as countries,
state and district
Different types of
boundary are shown
with different symbols
Shows the landforms and
the water bodies on the
earth surface such as
mountain, plateaus plains,
rivers lakes, sea etc.
Topographical map shows
a great details of both
man made and natural
features with the help of
conventional sins and
Imaginary line joining
place above the mean
sea level is known as
All over the world it is
used by geographers,
USES OF MAP
Easy to handle and can
Provides lots of
information for planning
such a road residential
It is useful to sailors,
pilots miners engineers
Army depend on maps
SKETCH Very often people give
directions to a
particular place by
making a rough drawing
to show the route.
This includes landmarks
and name of the street.
Such diagram is called as
Rough map is drawn
without any scale,
conventional sign and
symbol, directions and