Where do you work within DeKalb?
How long with the county
Who Are You?
Define Effective Communication
Review & Reflection
4. At the end of this course you will;
• Know what is required for effective communications
• Recognize the important parts of the communications
• Understand how our view of reality is shaped by our
• Be able to identify inter-personal barriers to effective
12. Physical distractions
• Noise levels
• Physical structures
• Professional terminology
• Religious beliefs
• Ulterior motives
• Competing personal priorities
• Competing organizational priorities
The absence of feedback
• Avoidance behaviors
• Lack of performance updates
• Elected official / Departmental Personnel
• Between departments
• Between professional fields
Barriers to Effective Communication
13. 10% of what we read
20% of what we hear
30% of what we see
50% of what we see and hear
70% of what we say and do
We Remember Approximately …
14. 1st time = 10% retention
2nd time = 25% retention
3rd time = 40-50% retention
4th time = 75% retention
Repetition Increases Understanding
15. 1. Check your motives
2. Get to the point
3. Stick to the point
4. Your body speaks volumes
5. Be conscious of your tone
6. Say what you mean & mean what you say
7. Listen for understanding
8. Get help with tough communications
9. Simplicity is best
Secrets to Effective Interpersonal
16. Active Listening Tips
Start listening with
the first sentence
Concentrate on what
is being said
Look for the meaning
20. What Would You like To Fix?
1. What communication issues would you like to
resolve (they can be your issues or the issues of
2. What is the desired outcome or result you are
3. What is your role in getting the desired
21. • What is required for effective communication?
• What are the parts of effective communication
and why are they important?
• How does our/your view of reality shaped by
• What are some barriers that affect effective
Did We Meet The Objectives?
22. What did you like about this course?
What could have gone better?
What would you change?