2. Diabetes is a chronic (lifelong) disease
marked by high levels of sugar in the
The Types of Diabetes
There are two Types of diabetes…..
One is Type 1 Diabetes
The other is Type 2 Diabetes
3. Type 1 diabetes is a chronic (lifelong) disease
that occurs when the pancreas does not
produce enough insulin to properly control
blood sugar levels.
What Causes Type 1 Diabetes
The body's own immune system attacks and
destroys beta cells in the pancreas that are
responsible for creating the hormone insulin.
4. Type 2 diabetes formerly called non-insulin-
dependent diabetes is a disorder that is
characterized by high blood glucose in the context of
insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency.
What Causes Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes occurs when the pancreas doesn't
make enough insulin or the cells of the body become
resistant to insulin.
10. If your sugar is above 240 you should do the
Drink lots of sugar-free fluids like water or diet drinks
Eat the right food and the right amounts
Check your blood sugars more often
Check keytones if over 240
Call doctor or nurse if you have a positive keytones
11. Age (years) levels for someone with diabetes (mg/dl) A1c level
19 years or older 70-140 mg/dl Lees than < 7%
13-19 years 70-150 mg/dl Less than < 7.5%
6-12 years 70-180 mg/dl Less than < 8%
Under six years 80-200 mg/dl 7.5% - 8.5%
Normal level (for non 70-120 mg/dl 4.3% - 6.2%
12. Be physical active….
Eat a healthy diet
Abcs(know and control)
a1c, blood pressure, cholesterol,
Take your medication
13. Contact me (Gustavo Perez) by email at
14. Congratulations you guys have learned about diabetes
and spread the word!!!! Please take donations this year
and get a shoe to put on a bulletin board in the hallway
thank you guys!!!!