WHAT IS LMI?
Labor Market Information (LMI)
is “data about labor supply and
demand, earnings, employment
and unemployment statistics, job
outlook, and demographics of
the labor force make up.”
WHERE TO FIND LMI
DATA You can research LMI data on the
internet by using the following sites:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics:
O*Net Online :
4. HOW TO USE LMI DATA
LMI data is helpful when you are researching your next career move.
The information found can help you learn more about:
How many people are employed in a particular occupation ?
Which companies hire people within a particular industry ?
What areas of the world/country have the most demand for a particular occupation ?
What is the earning potential ?
If there is a demand for your occupation that makes it beneficial to obtain training ?
ACTIVITY 1: BUREAU OF
Activity 1: One way to access the BLS's employment
projections is through the Selected Occupations
Directions: Use any of the BLS search tools to answer
the following for your occupation:
• Total Employment in Base Year and Target Year
• Employment Change Between Base Year and
Target Year (as a number and a percentage)
• Percentage of Workers in This Occupation Who
• Job Openings in Target Year Due to Growth and
What your skills are worth in the job market?
Why is this important?
• Estimate earning potential
• Know what you bring to the table
• Helps guide you to a position that is a “good fit”
• Assist with negotiating salary
• Understanding what skills, credentials, education, experience you need
• Advocating for opportunities; i.e., promotions
7. WHAT FACTORS DETERMINE YOUR
Level of Education Occupation Type of Education or
Technical Skills Skills Previous Salary Earned Location
8. T h i n k A b o u t I t …
WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF YOU ARE
NOT AWARE OF YOUR MARKET