• NPE was first started in (1968) under prime minister ship
of Indira Gandhi, (To improve the educational scenario.)
• NPE (1986) was formed after (5yr) review of National
Policy of Education (1968).
• Reviews takes place in every (5yr) of this NPE 1968). In
order to bring new policies.
• As a result of review National Policy of Education 1986,
was formed under the prime minister ship of Rajiv
Gandhi in order to democraticize the education criteria
• The reason behind the NPR(1986) was to
• Even (NPE 1986) was again reviewed by “ Acharya
Ramamurti” committee in 1990 and submitted report
in 1992 and it was called (POA 1992).
4. (NEED FOR NPE -1986)
• To develop quality education.
• To improve literacy rate.
• To implement free and compulsory education.
• To remove wastage and stagnation.
• To modernize the curriculum.
• To improve the examination system.
5. RECOMMENDATIONS GIVEN BY NPE-1986
TO DEMOCRATIZE EDUCATION:
• NPE-1986) submitted its recommendation as (12) parts in
• Essence and role of education.
• National system of education.
• Education for equality.
• Re-organization of education at different stages.
• Technical and management education.
• Making the system work.
• Reorienting the content and process of education.
• The teacher.
• Management of education.
• Resource and reviews.
• The future.
• Policy put on effort.
• It pointed the significant contribution of NPE-(1968)
to improve the educational scenario.
• Essence and role of education:
• NPE suggested the importance of education role in
8. NATIONAL SYSTEM OF EDUCATION:
• This national system of education insisted on the
principals on which NPE was conceived of.
• First (10yr) in (10,2, 3 ) pattern will have (5yr) of primary
• Plus 2 level will be part of school education.
• Based on national curricular framework with common
core subjects with other flexible components.
• It also recommended that the strengthen,
UGC,AICTE, ICAR and IMC to play an important
role in national system of education along with
NCERT, NCTE, NIAPA and system of adult
10. EDUCATION FOR EQUALITY
• The policy emphasized the removal of disparities and
• Education of SC,s and ST,s.
• Other educationally backward sections and areas like-
Minorities, Handicapped, and Adult education.
11. RE-ORGANIZATION OF EDUCATION
AT DIFFERENT STAGES
• The policy recommended reorganization at (7)
• Early Childhood care and Education (ECCE) stage:
• It suggested to implement child oriented approach.
• Focus on play and individuality of a child instead of
formal methods and teaching about (3hours).
• Elementary Education stage:
• Re-organization at elementary level recommended
child centered approach.
• Providing essential facilities in Primary schools,
giving Non-Formal education.
12. Elementary Education stage
• This policy recommend that child centered approach
should be there.
• Providing essential facilities for primary schools.
• Giving Non –Formal education for drop outs,
working children's and Girls who do not attend the
13. SECONDARY EDUCATION STAGE
• It recommended that children with special talent and
multiple aptitude to be provided with opportunities to
study at a faster pace and with this recommendation
pace setting residential schools.
• Navodays Vidalays- Serve the objective of experience
along with equity and social justice (with reservation
for rural areas i.e. sc,s and st,s.
• to promote national integration by providing
opportunities to talented children from different parts
of the country.
• The policy recommended vocational education to be a
distinct stream vocational courses/ Institutes will be
the responsibility of the Govt as well as employees of
public and private sectors.
15. HIGH EDUCATION STAGE
• The policy recommended that the steps to protect
higher education from degradation.
• Emphasized Linguistic competence.
• Introduction of AV aids, electronic equipment.
• High quality research work.