LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
My Job Roles and
As the props mistress it is my job to manage the sourcing, managing and
collecting of props. The props are essential in creating a dynamic and
interesting performance apace as well as enhancing the narrative. Which in
turn creates understanding for the audience. The props mistress talks with
the director to make sure that I know about every single prop that they need
in enough time to get them. I must also have effective communication skills,
be self efficient, motivated and creative.
• Managing the props budget
• Making a list of the props needed.
• Ordering or going out to buy props.
• Liaising with the director and production manager.
• Attending rehearsals to assess changes to be made to props.
• Instructing cast members about how to operate or take care of
• Supervising other staff in the props department and making
sure that every prop is being collected.
Examples of Props Tables
It is important when creating
a props table that it is
marked clearly with either
masking tape or yellow LX
tape so that it is easy to read
especially in a dark back
stage area. It is also
important that they
organised and kept tidy
throw-out show week.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of the
• The Prop Master will read
the script and become familiar with it prior to meeting the director.
• The production meeting will be attended by the Director, Assistant
Director, Musical Director , Set Technician, Costume Designer and
Prop Master. These people must communicate in order to make sure
that every element of the set in terms of design is linked effectively.
• The Prop Mistress will determine the specific prop needs as
outlined in the script and create a props list and a props plot
• The Prop Mistress will maintain a list of volunteers and contact
information that routinely work on the prop crew. As well as this
The Prop Master is responsible for supervising the property crew in
the making, gathering, borrowing and placement of all props that
meet the design requirements of the show.
• The Prop Mistress is responsible for ensuring that all necessary props are
given to the Director to rehears with to ensure that they adhere to the creative
concept as well as practically.
• The Prop Mistress is responsible for creating a props table /s at different
points of the back stage areas so that they are easy to access for the
performers. The Prop Master is also responsible for ensuring the props are
stored at night as necessary.
• The Prop Mistress must attend all dress rehearsals and be available to make
repairs or changed to any props that are needed during rehearsal week. Or if
the Props Mistress is not available to do this the props assistant, DSM or SM
will take their place and report back.
• The Prop Mistress is responsible for returning any rented or borrowed prop
pieces to their rightful owners.
• The Prop Mistress is responsible for ensuring all props are removed from the
performance venue at the end of the last show. The Prop Mistress is also
responsible for ensuring that within 2 weeks after the last performance and
strike of the set, the prop pieces are not only returned to the props store but
the prop store is organized and cleaned.
It is also necessary to create props lists that detail the costing's of props and
where they are acquired from and the total budgeted cost of the props.
manager will also
need to create a
props list that
each prop is
where it needs to
be set at the start
of the production
and where it
needs to be at the