TIPS ON WRITING ATIPS ON WRITING A
GOOD ESSAYGOOD ESSAY
For and Against and opinion essaysFor and Against and opinion essays
What’s an essay?What’s an essay?
An essay is a piece of writing that analyses and evaluates a
topic or issue.
Fundamentally, an essay is designed to get your opinion on a
It usually has five or more paragraphs. An essay is written about
one topic that has several main points.
The main points are introduced in an introductory paragraph and
supported in body paragraphs.
The conclusion is the last paragraph.
Types of essaysTypes of essays
There are many, but in this PowerPoint
will concentrate on :
For and Against Essays
For and Against EssaysFor and Against Essays
• They present both sides of an issue,
discussing points in favour and
against of a particular topic, or the
advantages and disadvantages of a
• The writer’s personal opinion might
be stated in the conclusion (last
Opinion EssaysOpinion Essays
• They present the writer’s personal
opinion concerning a particular topic,
clearly stated and supported by
reasons or/ and examples.
• The writer’s opinion must be included
in the introduction, and summarised
or restated in the conclusion.
A good essay must includeA good essay must include
• An introductory paragraph, in which you clearly
state the topic to be discussed.
• A main body, in which different aspects of the
topic are stated in separate paragraphs, and are
exemplified or justified.
• A concluding paragraph, it summarises the main
points in the essay, and your opinion is stated, or
restated. You may also include here a balanced
consideration of the topic.
Tips for a good introductionTips for a good introduction
(to get the reader interested in your essay)(to get the reader interested in your essay)
1) A surprising
Figures of gunshot deaths have rocketed in
the USA. In fact, a third of the population
living in the USA will have pulled the trigger
of their guns by 2025.
2) A question Southern America takes pride in its shooting
culture, but should children be allowed to use
guns at an early age?
3) A quotation “Put your sword back into its place”, Jesus
said, “for all who take the sword will perish by
the sword”. Jesus would definitely say no to
free gun access in the USA.
4) An anecdote I will never forget the way I felt when I listened
to the news on September 11th.
I couldn’t believe my eyes. I thought “How can
people be so merciless?”
5) A cultural
All of us have ever wished to be like John
McClane in Die Hard taking the law into his own
hands. However, it does not justify the easy
access to guns these days.
6) A definition
Gun control generally refers to the policies that
regulate the sale and use of firearms to reduce
the harmful effects of violence.
The main bodyThe main body
This is the most important part of your piece of writing.
You should divide it into different paragraphs, each dealing with one single idea and
introduced by a topic sentence which summarises the topic of the paragraph.
To make your ideas easy to understand:
1. go from general to specific, that is, first give a general idea and then expand it.
2. Avoid unnecessary repetition by using pronouns to refer back to nouns already
3. Use connectors to join sentences and show the connection between ideas (contrast,
purpose, addition, ...)
If you are asked to write an opinion essay, in the body you should support your
opinions giving different arguments. Use each paragraph to present your arguments
for or against.
If it’s a “for and against” essay, in the body you should present both the arguments
for (or advantages) and the arguments against (disadvantages). Again, use
paragraphs to introduce each argument.
Tips for a good conclusionTips for a good conclusion
• It is the paragraph that summarizes the main idea or presents a
• The reader expects the conclusion to do some or all of the
following: rephrase the question, summarize the main ideas,
give your opinion, if you haven’t given it already.
• Look to the future (say what will happen if the situation continues
• The reader DOES NOT expect new information in the conclusion.
Never add a new idea just because you have thought of it at the
• It shouldn’t be very long, and it can be similar to the introduction,
but presented in different words.
Your conclusion ‘wraps’ up the essay. We don’t put something valuable,Your conclusion ‘wraps’ up the essay. We don’t put something valuable,
like money or gold, hidden in the wrapping paper, so don’t put newlike money or gold, hidden in the wrapping paper, so don’t put new
information or important ideas in the conclusion.information or important ideas in the conclusion.
• Plan your writing and write a first draft.
• A paragraph for each section. The paragraph starts with a
• Use a variety of vocabulary and grammar structures. Use
synonyms or paraphrase.
• Avoid contractions and don’t get emotional.
• Keep to the topic. Don’t write about things that have nothing
to do with the task.
• Use, but don’t overuse, linking words to join ideas. They are
also an important part in stringing together sentences and
• Pay attention to punctuation. Your text may be confusing if
you don’t use commas and periods adequately.
• Stick to a maximum of two/ three arguments.
• Back up your arguments with examples and details.
• Addition: Moreover, For example,
Besides, In addition, What is more,...
• Contrast: But, Yet, Whereas,
Nevertheless, However, On the other
hand, Although, Even though, Though,
Despite, In spite of, Unlike, Even if,...
• Cause: As, Since, Because, Because
of, Due to, Owing to, ...
• Result: So, Therefore, As a result,
Consequently, For this reason, Thus, …
• Purpose: To, In order (not) to, So as (not)
to, So (that), In case, …
• Other useful expressions: On the one
hand ...On the other hand, Actually,
In fact, Talking of, In other words,
As far as ….is concerned, Otherwise,
Regarding, In short, To sum up, In
CHOOSE ONE TOPIC TO WRITE AN ESSAY.
- Corrupt politicians should never keep their
- Terrorism: a threat to western civilizations.
- Is social justice fair these days?
- Poverty is a weapon of mass destruction.