LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
The Role of Yoga in Multidimensional Detoxification by Dr AB Bhavanani
The Role of Yoga in
Dr ANANDA BALAYOGI BHAVANANI
MBBS, MD (AM), ADY, DSM, DPC, PGDFH, PGDY, FIAY, C-IAYT
Director CYTER of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth & Chairman ICYER at Ananda
Ashram, Puducherry, South India. email@example.com
AB Bhavanani - STOX 2018
SRI BALAJI VIDYAPEETH
(Deemed University Accredited with “A” Grade by NAAC)
Ranked 72 in NIRF 2018
Centre for Yoga Therapy, Education
and Research (CYTER)
Salutogenesis, our focus!
Bridging the experiential wisdom of Yoga with
empirical modern medical science.
Yoga is usually found in Physical Edu
& Sports deptts of universities
We at CYTER, have it in a medical
institution since 2010
– quality of life enhancing benefits
for ~ 50,000 partiipants
– educating future Yoga therapists
(PGDYT, M.Phil, PhD),
– creating awareness amongst
medical, dental and nursing
students & professionals
– scientifically researching Yoga,
– 85 publications & 7 CMEs.
– IDY celebrations since 2015
Salutogenesis, our Focus
• Moving from pathogenesis, the focus on disease
towards salutogenesis, the focus on health!
• CYTER is striding forward on an innovative path of
promoting holistic health for one and all.
And not merely the absence of disease.And not merely the absence of disease.
Definition of Health (WHO)Definition of Health (WHO)
Health is a
Health is a
SWASTH: a dynamic
state of wholesome
prasanna atmendriya manah
- Sushrut Samhita (15:41)
• Acharya Sushrut (~600 BC)
defined health as “a dynamic
balance of the elements and
humors, normal metabolic
activity and efficient
elimination coupled with a
tranquil mind, senses and
• Yoga is truly the best means
to achieve such a dynamic
state of wholesome health at
all levels of existence.
“Yoga therapy is the process of
empowering individuals to
progress toward improved health
and wellbeing through the
application of the teachings and
practices of Yoga”. – IAYT
It doesn’t matter how many resources you have.
If you don’t know how to use them,
it will never be enough.
Yogic perspective of the human
• Yoga conceptualizes the human being as a
multi layered, conscious being, possessing
• Trisharira (gross, subtle and causal bodies), &
• Pancha kosha (five layered existence:
anatomical, physiological, psychological,
intellectual and universal existential layers.
• When the healthy alignment is lost, it is
• Yoga aims to help regain our psycho-
physiological balance, by removing the root
cause of the dis-harmony.
• Disassociation from inherent tendencies to
identify with suffering, is Yoga!
duhkha samyoga viyogam yoga samjnitham-
Bhagavad-Gita VI: 23.
From the Yogic viewpoint of disease, psychosomatic,
disorders progress through four phases.
1. Psychic Phase
vijnanamaya & manomaya kosha
1. Psychosomatic Phase
manomaya & pranamaya kosha
1. Somatic Phase
pranamaya & annamaya kosha
1. Organic Phase
• The Pancha Klesha model of Maharishi Patanjali
clearly states that the ‘root’ of all suffering (duhkha)
is AVIDYA (distorted perception of reality).
– tasya hetur avidya –PYS II:24
• Avidya as the root cause enables manifestation of
other kleshas in dormant, attenuated, manifest or
overpowering forms leading to suffering.
- avidya kshetram uttaresham prasupta tanu
vicchinna udaranam- Yoga Darshan II:4
Unless we treat the
(dwaitham) and misconceived
sense of self identify (avidya),
we are not practicing
• Thiruvalluvar, the Dravidian saint advises us to look
for the disease, trace its root cause, understand the
remedy and then mindfully apply it.
– Noinaadi noimudhal naadi athuthanikkum vaai naadi
vaippach cheyal -Tirukkural 948
• The Vyuha model based on PYS has similar approach.
– Heya : what are the challenges?
– Hethu : what are the causes?
– Hana : what are the goals?
– Upaya : what are the tools?
Yoga places great importance on a proper and healthy
lifestyle whose main components are:
ACHAR – healthy physical activities & exercise
VICHAR – right thoughts and right attitude towards
life that are vital for wellbeing.
AHAR – healthy, nourishing diet with adequate intake
of fresh water; balanced intake of fresh food, green
salads, sprouts, unrefined cereals & fresh fruits.
Sattwic diet, prepared & served with love & affection.
VIHAR – proper recreational activities to relax body
and mind are essential for good health.
VYAVAHAR – healthy relationships for social health
Nine multidimensional purification processes
occurring through Yoga.
1.Mala shuddhi - removal of toxins from internal
2.Deha shuddhi- physical hygiene,
3.Nadi shuddhi- purification of subtle energy
4.Prana shuddhi- removal of blocks impeding
flow of life energy,
5. Indriya shuddhi - sensory purification,
6. Man/ chitta shuddhi - mental purification and
enhancement of clarity,
7. Jivana shuddhi - healthy and clean lifestyle,
8. Bhavana shuddhi - removal of improper
attitudes and clarity of perception, and
9. Ultimately purification of the “Self” itself
• The need of the hour is for a symbiotic relationship
between Yoga and modern science.
• Living, human bridges combining the best of both
worlds need to be cultivated.
• Iti iti………….. The way forward!
Some final words…….
We need to focus on
and move consciously
duhkham to sukham….
May we all be blessed to do so!
Hari om tat sat