1. Community Interaction
Rami Abi Saab1, Christelle Azzi2, Gracia Khalil2, Georgia Ryan3
Lebanese American University, June 28-July 6, 2019 Reconsidering the Urban Condition of Karm El-Zeitoun
• Rethinking and Redesigning the Urban Landscape - Bernardo Secchi
• Close encounters with buildings - Jan Gehl, Lotte Johansen Kaefer and Solvejg Reigstad
• The Architecture of the City - Aldo Rossi
Research and Analysis
A Locus – A site that can be flexible and hold events within the community while also being
an event in itself as a site. It persists through the transformations in function.
Totality – Viewing the city as a totality for their social needs.
Stairs seatingOlive trees and welcome sign
9:00AM – Parent and Baby Group
11:00AM – School Workshop
1:00PM – Exercise Class
2:00PM – After-school Play
4:00PM – Book Club
5:00PM – English Lessons
7:00PM - Yoga / Meditation
• Retain existing warehouse and reuse materials where possible.
• Revive building with new function.
• Open up building, raise roof and extend a new cantilever into the
garden space outside to create shade.
• Create indoor/outdoor space for people to move between.