LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
The public are often concerned about the
use of pesticides and not always
presented with a balanced view. It is
important to be able to provide
reassurance about research and safety
aspects and to remind ourselves of the
need to keep pests under control.
What is a pest ?
• A pest is any living organism which competes
with human, domestic animals or desirable
plants for food or water.
• At the same time they spread diseases to
mankind and harms the environment.
What is Pest control?
• Pest control refers to the regulation
or management of a species defined
as a pest, usually because it is
perceived to be detrimental to a
person’s health, the ecology or the
Types of pests
• Microbial organism
• Cockroach, termites,
• Any plant growing
where they are
• Snails ,slugs &ship
Why to control pests?
1. For clean environment.
2. Disease free environment.
3. To stop the rapid growth of pests.
Need to determine:
• What mix of pest are present?
• What attracts the pest?
• What are the particular habits of the pest?
• What are the most effective control measures
to control or eliminate the pest?
Methods for pest control
There are mainly five methods for pest cotrol
• Mechanical methods for pest control
• Biological methods for pest control
• Environmental method for pest control
• Agricultural method for pest control
• Chemical method for pest control
• Hand picking:-
Method of choice when pests are slowly
crawling and are not able to fly. Eg;caterpillars
Is used for flying pests which cant be picked by
hand or burned.
• Burning :-
Is used for flying pests which cant be picked by
hand and can cause damage.pests are burned
and waste is removed frequently
• This method is applicable for removal of animal
pests.it depend on the following considerations:
Animals and insects which feed upon smaller forms
Hawk, owl, eagle and cats etc
Insects having small life span parasitize bigger
Some flies lay eggs on larvae of the crop which cause
damage. They attack slowly moving larvae. After few
days when eggs are hatched, small larvae appear and
consume the body tissue of the crop larvae. Hence
death of pest occurs
• The surrounding of the pest is changed in
such a way it becomes unfavorable for its
• It can be achieved by removing food stuff
needed for the growth of the pest of
draining swamps. Eg; mosquito control
• Involves cultivation of such crops which are
resistant to pests.
• It may be achieved using biotechnology and
• Another method for removal is crop rotation.
• In this method, certain chemicals are used for
Effective pest control
• An effective pest control program includes:
• Exclusion of pest
• Removing food source by good practice
• Controlling pests with appropriate methods
• Specific procedures/records
• Keep door closed / tight fitting
a) Minimize gaps
b) Use door seal/self closer
• Keep windows screened /closed
• Screen air inlets /exhaust openings
• Use air curtains/strip curtains
• Netting/ eliminate perches for birds
• Use of bait station/ traps most common
• Place traps inside production areas
a) Sticky pads for small rodents
b) Check & empty weekly(min.)
• Bait stations in non-food areas
a) Use approved baits only
b) Place in secured station
• Eliminate roots or nesting sites
• Minimize food sources outside of bldngs
Landscape plants can be attractive
• Use netting or screens under eaves or
structures open to outside
i. UV light attracts insects
ii. Mount at right height /location
iii. Charged electric grids kill insects
iv. Sticky pads hold insects after impact
i. Handle pesticides with care
ii. Use only approved chemicals
iii. Don’t contaminate food
iv. Use correct methods to target pest
• Pest management is a process can use to solve
pest problems while minimizing risks to
people and the environment.
• Pest management can be used to manage all
kinds of pests anywhere—in urban,
agricultural, and wildland or natural areas.
• Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the
home including entry points for utilities and
• Keep tree branches and shrubbery well
trimmed and away from the house.
• Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well
ventilated and dry.
• Store garbage in sealed containers and
dispose of it regularly.
Dealing with resistance
• Raised concentrations of active ingredients!
• Increased frequency of application!
• Reduce reliance on chemicals.
• Alternation of chemicals.
• Targeted insecticide application.
Given the inherent risk associated
with pesticide exposure, particularly
for children, programs, policies and
other efforts that reduce pesticide
use and exposure are warranted.
School across the country are seeing
the benefits of implementing safer
pest management practices that do
not rely on hazardous pesticides.
• Charles j . Krebs, 2001 . Ecology . American
• David pimentel, 1991 .handbook of pest
management in Agriculture. CRC press
• F. Moriarty, 1983. Ecotoxicology. englad
• Rachel carson, 1962. silent spring. Houghton
• www.google .com