1. Test 11 - The French Revolution
Indicate whether the statement is true or false. Use your clickerto respond to the following questions. “A” for true and
“B” for false.
1. The Third Estate included the bourgeoisie, the artisans and workers,and the peasants.
2. Only male citizens were executed during the Reign of Terror.
3. Napoleon Bonaparte was a brilliant military leader who could be described as ruthlessly ambitious.
4. Marie Antoinette, the wife of Louis the XVI, was beloved by most French people.
5. The First Estate included the nobility and wealthy aristocrats.
6. The term ‘plebicite’ refers to a person or group that favors extreme change.
7. The guillotine was a device that dropped a heavy sharp blade through a victims neck. Used extensively
during the Reign of Terror.
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question. Use your clickerto repond.
8. Europeans outside of France reacted to the execution of Louis XVI with
a. glee. c. horror.
b. grief. d. relief.
Declaration ofthe Rights ofMan and of the Citizen
“The representatives of the French people, . . . believing that the ignorance, neglect, or contempt of the rights
of man are the sole cause of public calamities and of the corruption of governments, have determined to set
forth in a solemn declaration the natural, unalienable, and sacred rights of man. . .
1. Men are born and remain free and equal in rights. . .
2. The aim of all political association is the preservation of the. . . rights of man. These rights are liberty,
property, security and resistance to oppression. . .
5. Law can only prohibit such actions as are hurtful to society. . .
6. Law is the expression of the general will. Every citizen has a right to participate personally, or through his
representative, in its formation. It must be the same for all. . .
7. No person shall be accused,arrested,or imprisoned except in the cases and according to the forms
prescribed by law. . .
9. As all persons are held innocent until they shall have been declared guilty. . .
11. The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man. . .
12. A common contribution [tax] is essential. . . This should be equitably distributed among all the citizens in
proportion to their means.”
9. Read the excerpt from the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. The Declaration of the Rights
of Man and of the Citizen considered which one of the following rights one of the most precious?
2. a. freedom of speech c. the right to pursue happiness
b. freedom of religion d. the right to own slaves
10. Read the excerpt from the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. Which of the following
provisions of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen would have particularly angered the
a. 1 c. 11
b. 9 d. 12
11. Which of the following was one cause of the French Revolution?
a. new taxes on the Second Estate c. strong leadership from Louis XVI
b. the influence of Enlightenment ideas d. economic prosperity
12. The Continental System restricted
a. trade with Great Britain. c. freedom of speech and of the press.
b. trade with French possessions in Asia. d. the rights of women.
13. Which European campaign was a disaster for Napoleon?
a. the Russian Campaign c. the Peninsular War
b. the Saint Domingue Expedition d. the Continental System
14. Using the map titled “Napoleon’s Empire, 1812,” which states were opposed to Napoleon in 1812?
a. All states were either controlled or allied with Napoleon.
b. Grand Duchy of Warsaw,Confederation of the Rhine, Kingdoms of Denmark and Norway
c. Africa and the Ottoman Empire
d. Portugal, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Kingdom of Sardinia, Kingdom of
Sicily, Montenegro, Russian Empire and Sweden
3. 15. What term best describes Napoleon Bonaparte’s ability to unify the French people by appealing to a stong
sense of French identity?
a. Conscription c. Federalism
b. Nationalism d. Reign of Terror
16. Which country does Napoleon invade that ultimately destroys a large percentage of his army?
a. Russia c. Great Britain
b. Spain d. Prussia
17. Which type of government allows people to choose representatives to make decisions?
a. Monarchy c. Dictatorship
b. Direct Democracy d. Republic
18. The French people welcomed Napoleon because
a. they hoped he would help the collapsing French economy.
b. he completely disavowed the ideals of the Revolution.
c. he was the grandson of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.
d. he promised order after the chaos of the Revolution.
19. The rights outlined in the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen did not extend to
a. the bourgeoisie. c. the First Estate.
b. women. d. the workers.
20. Which of the following describes a policy of retreating Russian soldiers and peasants that destroyed food and
anything else of value so the advancing French Army couldn’t use it?
a. Radical policy c. scorched earth policy
b. Coup d’etat policy d. Congress of Vienna
4. Test 11 - The French Revolution
1. ANS: T PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.1.1
STA: 9.4.01 | 9.6.01 | 9.8.03
2. ANS: F PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.2.2
3. ANS: T PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.3.1
STA: 9.4.01 | 9.8.03
4. ANS: F PTS: 1
5. ANS: F PTS: 1
6. ANS: F PTS: 1
7. ANS: T PTS: 1
8. ANS: C PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.2.1
9. ANS: A PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.1.3
10. ANS: D PTS: 1 DIF: 3 NAT: 20.1.3
11. ANS: B PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.1.1
STA: 9.4.01 | 9.6.01 | 9.8.03
12. ANS: A PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.3.2
13. ANS: A PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.4.1
14. ANS: D PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.3.2
15. ANS: B PTS: 1
16. ANS: A PTS: 1
17. ANS: D PTS: 1
18. ANS: D PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.3.1
STA: 9.4.01 | 9.8.03
19. ANS: B PTS: 1 DIF: 2 NAT: 20.1.3
20. ANS: C PTS: 1