The changing landscape in customer communication provides a unique
opportunity to combine the assets of our outsource services division (call
center and network) with our social media expertise (SocialStrategy1) to
provide clients a best in class multi-faceted customer care and lead
Loyalty is now driven by a business’s interaction with it’s customer when
& where the customer chooses to interact
Multichannel Customer Care
Over 50% of US Internet Users Shop Online
• Last year, 167 million people in the U.S. made online purchases amounting to $200
billion in sales.
• Shopping cart abandonment rates normally average 72 percent.
– Last year, shopping cart abandonment was at 70 percent.
• 2012 Black Friday
– $1.04 Million in Online Sales
– Online Sales Up 28% from 2011
• 2012 Cyber Monday
– $1.47 Billion in Online Sales
– Online Sales Up 17% from 2011
US Internet Users’ Expectations of E-Commerce Sites
Pricing/shipping information clearly stated
Looks credible and trustworthy
Product displayed on homepage
Total cost calculator (shipping, tax, etc.)
Onsite customer reviews/testimonials
Online customer service (live chat)
Links to social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
Source: Oneupweb, ‘Revolutionizing Website Design: The New Rules of Usability’,
Shopping Cart Abandoners are Valuable
• Plan to conduct more online research before purchasing
• Online comparison shopping will become ever more commonplace
• 84% more likely to research online to ensure best price
• More likely to use voucher codes or look for them online
• Spending more online than those that do not abandon shopping carts
• Like to shop around before making a purchase
Source: Forrester Research
What this tells us is that visitors that abandoned shopping carts are very valuable:
higher income customers that are more tech savvy, and use this knowledge to comparison shop and get better
Top 5 Causes for Shopping Cart Abandonment
1. Shipping and handling costs were too high - 44%
2. I was not ready to purchase the product - 41%
3. I wanted to compare prices on other sites - 27%
4. Product price was higher than I was willing to pay -
5. Just wanted to save products in my cart for later
consideration - 24%
Web Chat Services not only improve customer experience, it
also helps improve shopping cart abandonment by answering
questions and providing peace of mind during the online
Would you open a retail store with no sales clerks?
• Customer satisfaction higher than other channels
• 25% decrease in operational cost
• 90% + “Top 2 Box” CSAT
• 90% First contact resolution
• 20% increase in online sales
• Agent productivity double than phone
• Preferred contact method
Clients leveraging web chat solutions realize
higher or more advantages than phone channel
Chat interactions provide valuable insight to businesses
to help improve marketing efforts, product development,
IT related challenges and existing business interactions.
• What obstacles are your customers experiencing?
• How are your customers and prospects responding to your promotional offers?
• Why are your customers not buying?
• What issues with service quality are your customers talking about?
• What are the primary customer objections (i.e. price, quality of the product,
• What is the marketplace saying about your products and prices?
Quality Assurance and Data Analytics
Reasons for Customers to Chat – Before Purchase
Top Reasons Why Customers Chat
• Product Questions
• Shipping Questions
• Return Policy Questions
• Promotional Offer Questions
Answering questions before
purchase increases online sales by
20% or more!
Reasons for Customers to Chat – After Purchase
HOW DO I
COPY OF MY
Top Reasons Why Customers Chat
• How do I track my order
• Copy of my online receipt
• Delivery policy
• Return policy
• Account information
CSAT is higher and
operational costs lower
Chat Transcripts Provide CSAT & DSAT
Average % CSAT vs.. DSAT - MTD
Drill Down on the
Improved beyond canned response
Improved in discovering customer needs
Improved in product knowledge
More effectively answer customers’ questions
Go above and beyond assisting customers
Customer interaction savvy
Out of Agent
Unavailability of the package that customer wants
Unable to resolve customer questions
Average MTD CSAT is at
81% and DSAT at 19%
Chat Strategy and Goals
What business needs am I trying to address?
Proactive vs.. Reactive chat?
How will I define success?
Which chat technology meets our requirements?
Implement internally or outsource?
What characteristics make a good chat agent? (hint: they are very different than good voice
What is the most effective way to train new chat agents?
Ongoing education and training?
How do I integrate my chat interactions into my quality program?
How do I gather business intelligence from the chat interactions?
How do I fix issues and continually improve?
Best-in-Class Performance Model
71% Prefer to initiate the contact for customer care
57% Very likely to abandon site if they cannot find a quick
44% Feel having their questions answered by a real person is
very important while on website
27% Like having an instant message/online chat box appear
and ask if they need help with research or purchases
What Chatters are Saying…
Live Chat Can Extend Your Reach By:
Initiate Invitations Based on Rules or Behavior Metrics
Extending your hours and handling overflow
Providing sales and support service queues
Fulfilling the promise of the “platinum star service and Warranty”
Leads to higher customer satisfaction
Help attain business goals
Monitoring live website traffic
Customers that show higher propensity to make a “purchase”
Proactive Chat Can Transform Business
Improve Customer Satisfaction
Increase Average Order Value
Reduce Abandonment Rate
Poor Proactive Invitation Practices Can Annoy Customers
Avoid Annoyances By:
Create a Clean Invitation
Easy to Decline Invitation
Unique Wording for Invite
Consider Images, Colors, and Design
Concerns with Proactive Chat
Strategies for Success
Create strategic rules that trigger a chat at a point of need or abandonment
Set triggers for opportunities
Consider starting small
Make evaluation of business rules an ongoing process
Rules to Implement Proactive Chat
Customer Care & Reputation Management
Loyalty is Now Being Built When and Where the Customer Chooses
Over 1,000 certified chat agents deployed worldwide
Considered an expert in the chat space with over 12 million
interactions each year
Both chat and a knowledge base solution allows for a
customer to receive real time help or answers to their
questions, as they navigate your website
US presence available 24/7