1. A DETAILED LESSON PLAN
At the end of the lesson, the students should be able to:
Differentiate active and passive voice;
Identify the voice of the verb in each sentence;
Rewrite the sentence changing the the voice from active to passive voice;
Appreciate the lesson by showing active participation of the students towards
II. SUBJECT MATTER
Topic: Active and Passive Voice
Moving Ahead in English p 197-199
strips of cartolina, manila paper, and pictures
IV. LESSON PROPER
A. ROUTINARY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activity Student’s Activity
Everybody stand up and let us pray.
Anyone who wants to lead the prayer? Heavenly father….
Good morning class! Good morning Mrs. Monteroyo!
Okay, class before we start, I want you
to pick up those pieces of papers under your
chairs and arrange it properly. Are you
Okay, you may take your seat now
Class, is there any absent today? None ma’am.
Wow that’s good!
Last meeting, I have assigned you to
answer the exercises on the book, am I right?
Did you answer your assignment?
Group leaders collect the assignment
of your members then pass it to me. Yes ma’am.
Class yesterday, we discussed about verb,
Read the following sentences. What are the
2. Carlos gave a speech
Lito plays basketball.
Olive sings folk songs gave, plays, sings
Therefore, what is the verb? Verb is an action word or state of
I’m happy that you understand our
lesson yesterday, so let’s give ourselves
with a big hand
Lets have some vocabulary drills and find out what kind
person are you. Circle the words below that represent the given characteristics of a
person. SENSITIVE FRUGAL SEFLISH HONEST AGGRESSIVE
She never brags about her success
She often shouted for people for nothing.
He always tells the truth.
She's interested only in her own concerns.
The family is able to stretch its monthly budget.
Okay, class I want you to listen for a short scenario;
"John saw a pretty girl. He went to talk to her.
Her husband arrived. The husband hit John on the nose."
1. What did the husband do? (Active voice is used in the answer.) answers may vary..
2. What happened to John? (Passive voice is used in the answer.)
Notice on the sentences on the board. Analyze its
difference. It tells whether it is in the form of active
or passive voice. That is what we are going to
Voice is the quality of a verb that shows whether
the subjects is the doer or receiver of the action
The Active Voice
Active voice is used to indicate that the subject of
the sentence is the doer of the action
Let’s start with a very simple sentence.
S V O
The boy kicked the ball.
3. In the following sentences, note the form of the verb
when the subject is the doer of the action.
A student wrote the winning essay.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone.
The chef prepared a delicious meal.
What are the subjects in the sentences? Student, Alexander Graham
Correct. Observe that the subjects’ students, Alexander
Graham Bell, Chef are the doers of the action.
What are the verbs used? Wrote, invented, prepared
Very good! Those verbs are transitive verb with directs
objects, thus when the subject of the sentence does
The action and the verb has a direct object, we say that the
verb is in the active voice.
The Passive Voice
The passive voice is created when the subjects is
acted upon, this time my subjects is going to be
The ball, because the recipient of the action,
What happen to the ball? The ball kicked.
Good. Now who kicked the ball? The ball kicked by the boy.
Very good! Now, study the following sentences:
The winning essay was written by a students
The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham bell.
A delicious meals was prepared by the chef.
In each sentence above, observe that the subjects is the
receiver instead of being the doer of the action. Note that the
form of the verb when the subjects is the receiver, not the doer of
the action is made up of was+ past participle of the verb. Thus if the
subjects is acted upon, the verb is in the passive voice. Let us have
Identify the voice of the verb in each sentence.
1. Raul presented an interesting report. 1. active
2. Baseball was played by Joseph. 2. passive
3. Martin removed the old paint. 3. active
4. The national budget was approved by congress. 4. passive
5. She cooked the breakfast. 5. active
Changing the voice from active to passive. Study the changes
in the following sentences:
Active Voice Passive Voice
1. The mother carried the baby. 1. The baby was carried by the
2. Father repaired the old chair 2. An old chair was repaired by
3. He invented a breathing device for 3. A breathing device for firefighters
Firefighters. was invented by him.
4. Sam explored the famous underground river. 4. The famous underground river
Was explored by Sam.
5. She interviewed the school president. 5. The school president was
interviewed By her.
What happened to the subjects, verbs, and
4. Direct object in the sentences in the active voice? The subject mother and father
became the receiver in the by- phrase
In passive voice. The action word
carried and repaired became verb
The direct objects baby and chair
Became the subjects in the passive
Very well said!
I’m glad that you understand our topic today
So let’s give ourselves a round of applause.
Change the sentences below to the active voice.
1. I was taught by my brother the principles
2. My father was given the title by the former
3. The house was wrecked by the party and the
cat was let loose by the guests.
4. The house is a mess, the cat is lost, and the
car has been stolen by Justin.
5. Unfortunately, my plan was ruined by Gerald,
the building superintendent.
6. The roof was leaking. It had been leaking
7. The ball was thrown by Lucy, who had been
hiding in the bushes.
8. Francesca was placed on the first flight to
Boston. Her father put her there.
9. “To be or not to be?” That is the question.
10. A feast had been created from nothing.
I was astounded.
1. My brother taught me the principles of barbecuing.
2. The former head chief gave the title to my father.
3. The party wrecked the house and the guests let the cat loose.
4. The house is a mess, the cat is lost, and Justin has stolen the car.
5. Unfortunately, Gerald, the building superintendent, ruined my
6. No change.
7. Lucy, who had been hiding in the bushes, threw the ball.
8. Francesca’s father placed her on the first flight to Boston.
9. No change.
10. A feast had been created from nothing. This astounded me.
5. E. Generalization
Therefore when can you say that a sentence is in
The active or in passive voice? How will you change
The passive from active to passive voice? A verb that ha s direct objects is in
The active voice. If the subjects is
Acted upon, the verb is in the passive
voice. In changing a sentence from
active to passive, the direct objects
becomes the subjects or doer in the
Very well said!
A. Write A in the blanks before the number if the sentence is active and P if passive.
__A____1. Rommel presented an interesting report.
__A____2. He submitted the annual report of the organization.
__P____3. The town was destroyed by fire.
__P____4. That skyscraper was built in 1934
__P____5. The new product design has been finished.
B. Rewrite each sentence changing the verb from active to passive.
1. He wrote a novel. 1. A novel was written by her.
2. Many people admired Ninoy Aquino. 2. Ninoy Aquino was admired by
3. He repaired the dripping faucet 3. The dripping faucet was repaired
4. The doctor examined the patient. 4. The patient was examined by the
5. She sponsored the education of many 5. The education of many poor
Poor students. Was sponsored by her.
6. My boss made the decision yesterday. 6. The decision was made by my
7. We proposed the change last week. 7. The change was proposed(by us)
8. John delivered the message. 8. The message was delivered by
this afternoon. John this afternoon.
9. Doug coordinated the meeting in Paul’s 9. The meeting was coordinated by
Absence. Doug in Paul’s absence.
10. James collected the shells. 10. The shells was collected by
Write a brief description of art that you or one of your friends created. Use both
active and passive voice verbs. Circle each verb and identify its voice.
Monteroyo, Danilyn G.