LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestras Condiciones de uso y nuestra Política de privacidad para más información.
LinkedIn emplea cookies para mejorar la funcionalidad y el rendimiento de nuestro sitio web, así como para ofrecer publicidad relevante. Si continúas navegando por ese sitio web, aceptas el uso de cookies. Consulta nuestra Política de privacidad y nuestras Condiciones de uso para más información.
Cellular lay out
A facility layout where machines are arranged in a work
center in the general order that they are required to produce
families of parts or one product family. Also called product-
1) In a cell layout, the transformed resources
entering the operation move into a cell in
which all the transforming resources it requires
2) After being processed in the cell, the
transformed resource may move to a different
cell in the operation or it may be a finished
product or service.
3) Each cell may be arranged in either a process
or product layout.
4) The cell type layout attempts to bring order to
the complex flow seen in a process layout.
The ground floor plan of a department store
showing the sports goods shop-within-a-shop
Sports shop Menswear
What is Cellular Manufacturing?
• An approach that requires
Equipment and workstations
to produce a product
• This approach facilitates
continuous flow of production
and provide flexibility to produce
variety of low demand products
Improving Layouts Using Work
• Traditional Layout
• Straight lines make it hard to balance tasks because work
may not be divided evenly
• Cellular Layout
• Improved layout - in U shape, workers have better
access. Four cross-trained workers were reduced.
Types of Operations
One Piece Flow
• Handling items one at a time eliminates wastes inherent in
batch production and enables a balanced flow of work.
• Multi-Process Handling increases flexibility in the process and
avoids the inefficiencies inherent in traditional manufacturing
• A multi-functional workforce is critical to enable flexible operations
where the range of tasks performed by a given worker can be varied
to match demand
Challenges While Implementation
• The biggest challenge when implementing
cellular manufacturing in a company is dividing
the entire manufacturing system into cells.
• The issues may be conceptually divided in the
"hard" issues of equipment, such as material
flow and layout, and the "soft" issues of
management, such as upskilling and corporate
Several Operators in Series
• In a process with several operators, work is divided in small
• that a group of operators team together to work at the same
• dividing the work load among them.
The combined cellular manufacturing equipment layout
further increases flexibility to adapt to demand
changes and maintain productivity through
leveraging resources of neighboring cells
Advantages of Work Cell(Cellular)
Reduced work-in-process inventory
Less floor space required
Reduced raw material and finished goods inventory
Reduced direct labor
Heightened sense of employee participation
Increased use of equipment and machinery
Reduced investment in machinery and equipment