2. The starting point
• Initially our first idea was to create a video for ‘video killed
the radio star.’ The concept was to recreate the old video
containing old technology's, and to reinforce the idea but
with new digital technologies.
• However, we were advised that this song was to well
known and iconic for us to use. So we started researching
other songs which we could apply this same idea too.
However, we couldn’t find a song which all the group
members liked. Finally, a indie rock song ‘Mardy Bum’ by
the artic monkeys was suggested and the whole group
3. Developing our concept
• Our chosen concept was to have the perfect ideal couple, who
are stereotypical and have a faultless relationship. However,
realistically this is not the case and everyone's relationships
are not perfect.
• To convey this the first initial idea was to have the video set in
a dolls house, we then developed this idea further and decided
to have different scene's and not to show that it was in a dolly
house, but to transition down through the floors in the house, to
portray the idea that this was the case and then to reveal the
dolls house at the very end of the video.
• We then thought of ideas to show that in reality things aren't
perfect and that the couples relationship was shown to be
perfect on the outside but in fact in the inside was not.
4. Research we did included:
• The fact that we wanted to portray a stereotypical couple
made us research and think about the certain look and
style we wanted to portray. This included the girl being
blonde and the man being tall and brunette.
• The 50’s style was chosen because this era conveys the
perfect stereotypical look.
• When researching other videos, we found some videos
such as Leona Lewis video ‘bleeding in love’ which also
included the transitions into different rooms. This allowed
us to develop even further, to start to think about which
rooms we wanted to transition into which.
5. Further explanation
• When listening carefully to the lyrics of the song ‘Mardy
Bum’ it gave us several ideas, such as a couple fighting, a
two faced couple, perfect from the outside, and not
perfect from the inside and we sketched these idea, in the
end formulating a storyboard.
• Storyboarding allows the ideas to be written down and
enables the you to make informed decisions, as well as
being able to include the timings of each shot, the
different shot which would be used, the lighting and the
type of edit. These all make the planning easier and give
you a specific idea, on what you need to film on the day of
6. • The representation of star image is important in trying to
attract an audience and to create a fan base. Our band
consisted of a lead singer, drummer and two guitarists, all
consisting of a similar look. The lead singer, had long ish
spiky brown hair, who had a indie rock look. This was an
important section to fufil because the marketing of the
band is very important if you want to sell singles.
• The set designs were build up on stilts in order to allow
the camera to transitions down through the floors, I give
the best dolls house effect which we could create.
7. • We decided to have the location of the shoot in the studio,
this would allow us to recreate different scenes and make
it look more like a dolls house.
• We went into depth with the research of mise-en-scene,
props and costumes. We researched on what the band
members were going to wear and firstly we thought that
they should be wearing leather because they are a indie
rock band. However, we decided to have the band
wearing checked shirts, which brown jackets; this was
because the brown linked with the cardboard and as a
group we thought this was a effective idea.
• Initially he woman was in a 50’s pink dress, however,
when looking in the costume cupboard we found a purple
dress, purple is associated with royalty, which we thought
linked very well with our concept,#.
8. Planning which was essential
• Both the shooting schedule and casting list was essential
in the planning of out media shoot.
• The shooting schedule allowed the casting members
know when they were needed and which sets were
needed at which times. The casting list shows which actor
and actress where going to be in the video and who the
band members were