1. Executive Branch Worksheet
Students may use their notes on the worksheet. They may not use the book. The
notes are from this week, starting on Monday. Answer questions and turn into
Ebackpack folder – Executive Branch WS
1. List the eight roles that every President must fulfill.
Chief Executive, Chief Diplomat, Chief Legislator, Chief Citizen, Commander in Chief,
Chief of State, Chief Administrator, Chief of Party
2. Describe why Presidents have often discussed their feelings of loneliness or
frustration about being President.
Everything they do is heavily criticized and they're blamed for everything.
3. Why is the President the Commander in Chief of the military even if he does
not have any military background?
He looks at things from a political viewpoint.
4. Name three privileges that Presidents enjoy.
Air Force One, maximum salary, White House
5. Name three qualifications of being President.
35 years old, natural born U.S. citizen
6. What are the only two powers listed for the Vice President?
Preside over the senate, help decide the question of presidential disability
7. Of the qualifications for being President, which was not adhered to strictly by
the first seven Presidents?
Natural born U.S. citizen
8. What is an Executive Order?
A directive, rule, or regulation that has the effect of law
9. What issue has President Obama promised to issue an Executive Order
10. What does Senatorial Courtesy mean as it relates to Presidential
An unwritten political custom in the United States whereby the president consults
the senior U.S. Senator of his political party of a given state before nominating any
person to a federal vacancy within that Senator's state
11. The President has the removal power for all federal appointments except this
12. What is the difference between a treaty and an executive agreement?
Executive agreements do not require the approval of the Senate.
13. Why do new countries want the United States to “recognize” them? What
does this mean?
They have official status as a country.
14. What is a Pardon?
Waiving any legal punishments a person has
15. What is amnesty?
Waiving punishments for people who committed a certain crime
2. 16. What does the role of Chief Citizen entail and require of the President?
Moral leader and figurehead of the United States
17. How many Departments are in the Cabinet of the Executive Branch?
18. List the Presidential Succession for the first 4 positions to become President.
Vice President, Speaker of the House, President Pro Tempore, Secretary of State
19. What Article of the Constitution do you find the powers of the President?
20. When the President establishes a treaty with a foreign nation, what role is he